Colleagues,

I would appreciate any feedback from those of you who have confronted
the issue of whether or not to start a slide library, or having
established one, decided to abandon it.

I am developing a fine arts library within a large public library
district.  Presently, it is a department of one and a bit of a stretch at
times.  Help is not in the cards for the near future.

Given the public library setting, I have trouble with the idea of a
circulating slide collection.  And to keep it non-circ and use it only for
in-house activities seems wasteful. I am also wondering if my efforts and
dollars would be better spent focusing on the book collection.

Any advice from the trenches about the virtues and pitfalls of a public
library slide collection is welcomed.  I want to make an informed decision
on the matter.  Thank you.

Jim Lane

Jim Lane, [log in to unmask]
Fine Arts Librarian