Posted on behalf of Ms. Nancy Yeide.  Please contact Ms. Yeide directly.
I am interested in any references in archival holdings to the Marie
Harriman Gallery, which operated in New York City between 1930-1942,
or to Marie Harriman (1903-1970).

Born Marie Norton, she was first married to Cornelius Vanderbilt
Whitney, with whom she had two children (Harry Payne Whitney and
Mrs. Pierre Lutz.)  Following her divorce from Whitney she married, in
1930, W. Averell Harriman (1891-1986), who later served as
Ambassador to the Soviet Union and to Great Britain, and as the
Governor of New York.   Mrs. Harriman's Gallery, located on E. 57th
Street, exhibited primarily modern American and French painting.

The Archives of American Art has a selection of exhibition catalogues of
the Marie Harriman Gallery.  However, I have been unable to determine if
Mrs. Harriman's papers, or those of her Gallery, have been preserved.
Any information or suggestions are welcome.

Nancy Yeide
Head, Department of Curatorial Records
National Gallery of Art, Washington
ph: 202-842-6589