Jim,
When I began working in the Art, Music & Video section at the Wichita
Public Library, about 5 years ago now, there was a small collection of
slides. They were prepackaged sets, already in carousels. There was a
set or two of survey art history slides, a set on American ceramics, and
several others whose contents I have forgotten. The only ones used at
all frequently were the art survey set, and they were used entirely by
one local teacher who worked adjunct for several small area colleges.
After receiving a complaint or two about the sets no longer being in
order--and having no time or staff to devote to reorganizing--we made the
decision to withdraw all sets. The teacher who was our heaviest user
bought her favorites, and was delighted. One patron expressed regret. No
one else even noticed, which was hardly surprising given how little they
were used. That's my experience with slides in a public library.

Eileen Simmons
Assistant Head, Art, Music & Video Section
Wichita Public Library
223 S. Main
Wichita, KS  67202
(316)262-0611