Insert plain text message here ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- This letter has been an "urban legend" circulating the Internet for several years. I saw a copy of it when I worked at the Office of the Smithsonian Institution Archives. While I question its veracity, the Smithsonian (especially the National Museum of Natural History) does have a long, sometimes funny, history of receiving many letters from the public requesting help in identifying specimens and objects. While this letter is a bit far fetched in the extent of its reply, I have seen others that are just as gracious and polite. The Institution has historically taken its mission as a public institution as an important part of it's overall operations. The Encyclopedia Smithsonian at http://www.si.edu/resource/faq/start.htm is a great example of this. Lynn M. Wojcik [log in to unmask] Information Analyst Northern Light Technology LLC 222 Third Street Suite 1320 Cambridge, MA 02142 http://www.nlsearch.com 06:45 PM 5/13/98 EDT, you wrote: >----------------------------Original message---------------------------- >Mary, this post appeared recently on the music librarians' list-serv. >I thought it might be interesting and amusing to art librarians as well. >Suzy Frechette >St. Louis Public Lib. >***************************************************************** > >I am forwarding the following letter from the Smithsonian Institution >as an example of how they graciously acknowledged an unwanted gift. I >send it to the list because in our profession we also get unwanted >items. It may also be good for a laugh. Bill Shank CUNY Grad Scl >(ret) > >The story behind the letter below is that there is this nutball who > digs things out of his back yard and sends the stuff he finds to the > Smithsonian Institute, labeling them with scientific names, insisting > that they are actual archaeological finds. This guy really exists and > does this in his spare time! Anyway... here's the actual response from > the Smithsonian Institute. Bear this in mind next time you think you > are challenged in your duty to respond to a difficult situation in > writing. > _________________________________________________________________ >> Smithsonian Institute >> 207 Pennsylvania Avenue >> Washington, DC 20078 >> Dear Sir: >> Thank you for your latest submission to the Institute, labeled >> "93211-D,layer seven, next to the clothesline post, Hominid skull." >> We have given this specimen a careful and detailed examination, > and regret >> to >> inform you that we disagree with your theory that it represents conclusive >> proof of the presence of Early Man in Charleston County two million years >> ago. >> Rather, it appears that what you have found is the head of a Barbie doll, >> of >> the variety one of our staff, who has small children, believes to be >> "Malibu >> Barbie." >> It is evident that you have given a great deal of thought to the analysis >> of >> this specimen, and you may be quite certain that those of us who are >> familiar >> with your prior work in the field were loathe to come to contradiction with >> your findings. However, we do feel that there are a number of physical >> attributes of the specimen which might have tipped you off to its modern >> origin: >> 1. The material is moulded plastic. Ancient hominid remains are typically >> fossilized bone. >> 2. The cranial capacity of the specimen is approximately 9 cubic >> centimetres, well below the threshold of even the earliest identified >> proto-homonids. >> 3. The dentition pattern evident on the skull is more consistent with the >> common domesticated dog than it is with the ravenous man-eating Pliocene >> clams >> you speculate roamed the wetlands during that time. >> This latter finding is certainly one of the most intriguing hypotheses you >> have >> submitted in your history with this institution, but the evidence seems to >> weigh rather heavily against it. Without going into too much detail, let >> us say that: >> 1. The specimen looks like the head of a Barbie doll that a dog has >> chewed on. >> 2. Clams don't have teeth. >> It is with feelings tinged with melancholy that we must deny your request >> to have the specimen carbon dated. This is partially due to the heavy load >> our lab must bear in its normal operation, and partly due to carbon >> dating's notorious inaccuracy in fossils of recent geologic record. To the >> best of our knowledge, no Barbie dolls were produced prior to 1956 AD, and >> carbon dating is likely to produce wildly inaccurate results. >> Sadly, we must also deny your request that we approach the National Science >> Foundation Phylogeny Department with the concept of assigning your specimen >> the >> scientific name Australopithecus spiff-arino. Speaking personally, I, for >> one, >> fought tenaciously for the acceptance of your proposed taxonomy, but was >> ultimately voted down because the species name you selected was hyphenated, >> and >> didn't really sound like it might be Latin in origin. >> However, we gladly accept your generous donation of this fascinating >> specimen >> to the museum. While it is undoubtedly not a Hominid fossil, it is, >> nonetheless, yet another riveting example of the great body of work you >> seem to >> accumulate here so effortlessly. You should know that our Director has >> reserved >> a special shelf in his own office for the display of the specimens you have >> previously submitted to the Institute, and the entire staff speculates >> daily on >> what you will happen upon next in your digs at the site you have discovered >> in >> your back yard. >> We eagerly anticipate your trip to our nation's capital that you proposed >> in >> your last letter, and several of us are pressing the Director to pay for >> it. We >> are particularly interested in hearing you expand on your theories >> surrounding >> the trans-positating illifitation of ferrous ions in a structural matrix >> that >> makes the excellent juvenile Tyrannosaurus rex femur you recently >> discovered >> take on the deceptive appearance of a rusty 9-mm Sears Craftsman automotive >> crescent wrench. >> Yours in Science, >> Harvey Rowe >> Curator, Antiquities >> > >