----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Forwarded from the NINCH list. Judy -------------Forwarded Message----------------- From: David Green, INTERNET:[log in to unmask] To: Multiple recipients of list, INTERNET:[log in to unmask] Date: 2/2/98 12:00 PM RE: DIGITAL PRESERVATION: A new conversation NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT February 2, 1998 DIGITAL PRESERVATION ISSUES: An Important Conversation "TIME AND BITS: Managing Digital Continuity" As more of the cultural heritage community understands the urgency of digital preservation issues (how do we save existing digital material that is already proving to be unreadable and how do we prepare a strategy for ensuring the long-term availability of material we are now digitizing?) one group is preparing to expand the conversation beyond the merely technical and technological. This week, the Getty Center will host a small group that will open a discussion on "technology, culture, and time," that will examine the sociocultural and economic implications of the digital preservation issues. The ambition of the conversation is to "provide a framework for long-term digital cultural preservation." Those included in the conversation include the following: Howard Besser Stewart Brand Doug Carlston Ben Davis John Heilemann Danny Hillis Brewster Kahle Kevin Kelly Jaron Lanier Peter Lyman Margaret MacLean Paul Saffo Bruce Sterling This project is being co-organized by the Getty Conservation Institute, the Getty Information Institute and the Long Now Foundation of San Francisco. The web site announcing the conversation and the issues will report on the dialog. It also contains a very useful list of web resources on digital preservation issues at . Below is the introduction to "TIME & BITS" as it appears on the web page. David Green =========== "TIME AND BITS: Managing Digital Continuity" Introduction The enthusiastic and increasing use of electronic media for storing information of various kinds demonstrates the utility of the format and its possibilities. In the field of cultural heritage, there is an enormous amount of significant information in digital form. These data are vulnerable on many levels. Because of the increasingly fast cycle of obsolescence in hardware and software, we are at the point where the proliferation of electronic data on various platforms has prompted some serious concerns about the long-term protection of the data. A number of international organizations are examining technological issues that bear on the problem, including data types, media stability, and options for refreshing and migrating data to ever-evolving platforms. There is, however, an important gap in the discussions. An integrated technical and philosophical discussion of digital archives and their future that includes the sociocultural and economic implications of both the problems and the solutions could provide a framework for long-term digital cultural preservation. The Getty Conservation Institute and the Getty Information Institute [of the J. Paul Getty Trust, Los Angeles] are collaborating with the Long Now Foundation [San Francisco] to generate some strategic thinking on these issues with important digital theorists. In February of 1998, we will convene a small group at The Getty Center to share concerns and expertise in technology, culture, and time. We will use this Web site to present certain ideas for moderated discussion, including a summary of the state of the technological work. We will post comments and incorporate some of them into the body of work being collected. The on-line discussion and meeting should provide a set of insightful and responsible recommendations that will chart a thoughtful course for the resolution of problems related to long-term digital data protection, preservation, and reconstruction. =============================================================== David L. Green Executive Director NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE 21 Dupont Circle, NW Washington DC 20036 www-ninch.cni.org [log in to unmask] 202/296-5346 202/872-0886 fax ============================================================== See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at . ==============================================================