Collection analysis is labor intensive no matter what you do!  Checking
proscriptive bibliographies is a good way, but actual-usage fanatics might
question whether this meets scholars' real needs (as Truman once said,
"What in Hell do the experts know?").

I once heard of a technique of identifying recent dissertations in a field
and checking the bibliography of them against your holdings.  The goal is
not to come up with a list of titles you need to buy, but a relative
percentage.  It answers the question, how much of actual research could
have been accomplished in your library?

I don't know of institutions that acutally used this method.

Lee Sorensen

>Dear Colleagues:  I am about to embark (with our staff) on an
>analysis/evaluation of our library's collection.  I wonder if any of you
>in university research libraries have done this recently.  If so, what
>sources did you use for comparison of holdings?  I always keep track of
>how we are doing in terms of Choice, Art Doc, Art Bulletin and other art
>history journals.  The faculty don't think that means anything.  Of,
>course I am also checking the "classics" in the art library field:
>Freitag's ART BOOKS (1996), Artzen and Rainwater's GUIDE TO THE LITERATURE
>OF ART HISTORY, Lois Jones's ART RESEARCH METHODS AND RESOURCES (most
>recent ed.), the TL YUAN BIBLIOGRAPHY OF WESTERN WRITINGS ON CHINESE ART
>AND ARCHAEOLOGY and some titles of general interest like BOOKS FOR COLLEGE
>LIBRARIES (3rd ed, 1988), the art section of the BEST REFERENCE BOOKS
>series.
>
>Any other suggestions are welcome!  Ray Anne
>
>                                Ray Anne Lockard
>                         Head, Frick Fine Arts Library
>                           University Library System
>                            University of Pittsburgh
>                             Pittsburgh, PA  15260
>                              Voice:  412-648-2410
>                                Fax:  412-648-7568
>                      E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Lee R. Sorensen
Art Librarian and Bibliographer
Duke University Lilly Library
Box 90727
Durham, NC  27708-0727

Phone:  919/660-5994                 [log in to unmask]
FAX:    919/660-5999                 [log in to unmask]
Mobile: 919/612-0011
http://www.lib.duke.edu/lilly/art.html

"Wie vast, en veerdich wil leeren schrijven, moet de Penne aldus houden, en
voort drijven."

Anthoni Smyters