The most distinguish "art librarian" for whom biographical information is
readily available in English is Fritz Saxl, art historian and librarian for
the Warburg Institute. (Saxl once made the deft comment, "At the beginning
of the year, we can buy any book we want at the Warburg--but then we cannot
buy another.").  See specifically, Bing, Gertrud. (Introduction). Fritz
Saxl: 1890-1948: A Volume of Memorial Essays from his Friends in England.
D. J. Gordon, ed. New York: T. Nelson, 1957.

This and other biographical and bibliographical references on him can be
found on my web reference, Biographies of Art Historians (letter "S"):

http://www.lib.duke.edu/lilly/artlibry/biobibah/BAHalphS.htm

Very much a work in progress.

The biography of the highly eccentric bibliographer Theodore Besterman
("Old Art Books" and " A Bibliography of Bibliographies") has yet to be
written, but what a read that'll be!  For the moment, we'll have to be
content with the anecdotes, not all of which can be related in polite
company.  If it can wait 22 years until my retirement, I might write it
myself.

Of course, the two most famous librarians in history were known for reasons
other than their bibliographic skills:  Leibniz and Casanova.  Biographies
of them abound.

Good reading!

>>Can anybody suggest some good biographies on librarians specifically art
>>librarains.
>>Thankyou in advance.
>>

>University of South Carolina--Columbia
>College of Library & Information Science
>email: [log in to unmask]
>voice: 803-643-7572

Lee R. Sorensen
Art Librarian and Bibliographer
Duke University Lilly Library
Box 90727
Durham, NC  27708-0727

Phone:  919/660-5994                 [log in to unmask]
FAX:    919/660-5999                 [log in to unmask]
Mobile: 919/612-0011
http://www.lib.duke.edu/lilly/art.html

"Wie vast, en veerdich wil leeren schrijven, moet de Penne aldus houden, en
voort drijven."

Anthoni Smyters