Peter:  I like the bold look of the website very much.  I was wondering if
you are going to increase the content of each participant's part of the
site to include transcripts of talks, symposia proceedings, etc.?  If so,
we would probably catalog it for access in our library.  Ann Abid

At 12:17 AM 2/25/98 -0500, you wrote:
>There are 21 messages totalling 1023 lines in this issue.
>
>Topics of the day:
>
>  1. ARLIS/NA Executive Board Endorses Ashcroft, Boucher/Campbell
Bills
> [...]
> 18. librarian biographies
> 19. Directories to Archives

>Date:    Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:31:43 EST
>From:    Roger Lawson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ARLIS/NA Executive Board Endorses Ashcroft,
>         Boucher/Campbell        Bills

>Dear Colleagues,
>
>I am very pleased to announce that the ARLIS/NA Executive Board has
>unanimously approved the Public Policy Committee's recommendation that
>ARLIS/NA endorse two watershed bills regarding copyright of digital
>information: S. 1146, Sen. John Ashcroft's (R-MO) Digital Copyright
>Clarification and Technology Act, and H.R. 3048, the Digital Era Copyright
>Enhancement Act, introduced by Reps. Rick Boucher (D-VA) and Tom
>Campbell (R-CA).
>
>By endorsing this legislation, we join the majority of our colleagues in the
>Digital Future Coalition in confirming our belief that these bills
represent a
>positive approach to updating the Copyright Act to meet the challenges of
>the digital environment while, at the same time, preserving the critical
>balance between copyright owners and users in the electronic age.
>Together these bills offer a significant and welcome alternative to the
>current legislation supported by the Administration to implement the new
>WIPO treaties -- for instance H.R. 2281, which propose a range of
>problematic measures and  constraints.
>
>Endorsement by the ARLIS/NA Executive Board serves a dual purpose in
>communicating ARLIS/NA's supportive position to Congress as well as
>laying the foundation for a letter-writing campaign by ARLIS/NA members
>to their respective Congressional representatives.
>
>I urge all members to take this crucial step in voicing support for these
>important pieces of legislation.  For more information about the bills and
>other endorsements, please consult the Public Policy Committee's Web
>site at: http://libraries.mit.edu/rvc/arlisna/digital.html
>
>Roger Lawson
>President
>ARLIS/NA
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date:    Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:31:52 EST
>From:    Mimi Hernandez <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Black Angels -Reply

>Have you contacted the Schomburg or Amistad Research Centers?  They might
>have some information.
>
>Schomburg (NYPL) phone number is: (212) 491-2200
>Amistad (Tulane University) phone number is: 504/862-3222
>
>Mimi Hernandez

>Mary N. (Mimi) Hernandez              University of Arizona
>Fine Arts/Humanities Team         Tucson, Arizona85721-0055
>P. O. Box 210055
>    Telephone -- 520.621.9238     Fax -- 520.621.9733
>        e-mail : [log in to unmask]
>http://dizzy.library.arizona.edu/users/hernande/mypage.htm
>
>"Our feelings are our most genuine paths to knowledge....And
>we must key into those feelings....This is how new visions
>begin."                      Audre Lorde

Symposia in
> [...]
>Presidential Lectures and Symposia in the Humanities and Arts (SPLSHA).
>Funded by the Office of President Gerhard Casper, SPLSHA will bring several
>distinguished scholars, artists, and critics to Stanford for lectures, panel
>discussions, and a variety of related interactions with faculty and
>students. At this time the participants include Christo and Jeanne-Claude,
>Hilhne Cixous, Peter Eisenman, Harold Bloom, Isabel Allende, Svetlana
>Alpers, Pina Bausch, Umberto Eco, Jacques Derrida, Henry Louis Gates, Jr.,
>Stephen Jay Gould, Fredric Jameson, Stefan Maull, Wole Soyinka, and Jean
>Starobinski.
>
>   Besides encouraging and mediating debate on the role of the Humanities
>and Arts in academia, the web site will also serve a pedagogical mission,
>with individual sites on each of the participants providing essential
>critical information in the form of essays, texts, interviews, and
>bibliographies. The site is managed by the Humanities and Area Studies
>Resource Group of Stanford University Libraries with assistance from the
>Research and Instructional Technologies Support group and Library Systems
>staff. Please visit the site.  We welcome your comments.
>
>Regards,
>
>Peter Blank, Site Co-Editor
>Adan Griego, Site Co-Editor
>Stanford University Libraries
>Peter P. Blank                         102 Cummings Art Bldg.
>Librarian                              Stanford, CA 94305-2018
>Art & Architecture Library             (650) 725-1038
>Stanford University                    fax 650-725-0140
>-----
>Stanford Presidential Lectures and
>   Symposia in the Humanities and Arts
>Web site Co-Editor
>http://prelectur.stanford.edu
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date:    Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:32:14 EST
>From:    Liping Song <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: indexing software

>I would like to know whether anyone has an indexing software to reommend.
>Thanks in advance!

>Liping Song
>Associate Librarian/Cataloger
>Whitney Museum of American Art/Library          Phone:  212) 570-3682
>945 Madison Ave.                                 Fax:  (212) 570-7729
>New York, NY 10021                       E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>

>------------------------------
>
>Date:    Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:32:22 EST
>From:    Beverly Hills Public Library - Fine Arts <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: ETHEL SANDS (1873-1962)

>Dear Floyd:
>
>A check of RILA (CD-ROM) brought forth the following two monographs:
>
>        TITLE: Miss Ethel Sands and her circle
>        AUTHOR: Baron, Wendy
>        SOURCE: London, P. Owen, 1977
>        ISBN: 0-7206-0303-8
>
>        A review of the above indicates that it was also an exhibition
>        (TITLE: The Case of Ethel; Author: Denvir (B.); Art and Artists,
London,
>12, 4; 11-13, 2 fig.)
>

>        TITLE: The London Yankees; portraits of American writers and artists
>                     in England, 1894-1914
>        AUTHOR: Weintraub, Stanley
>        SOURCE: New York; London, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich; W.H. Allen, 1979
>        ISBN: 0-15-152978-7; 0491022093
>

>At 03:40 PM 2/23/98 EST, you wrote:

Head Librarian
The Cleveland Museum of Art