I have had this message in my mailbox for several weeks and was unable to
respond to it since we have been having problems with our e-mail server.

The Los Angeles County Museum of Art installed the SIRSI Unicorn
intergrated library system in March 1996.  At the time, it was one of the
few if not the only library system that had a graphical user interface
for all the modules (acq, circ, cataloguing, etc.).  The things that sold
me were the fact that we could purchase the software only and were not
required to purchase hardware from the vendor.  The system is highly
configurable by the user and the library can make most changes without
having to deal with the vendor.  If your institution has a reliable and
knowledgeable information systems department, there is a lot you can do
with the system that we have not yet been able to (due to lack of staff
and support in that area). In spite of this, the system has kept on
running without any problems for two years now.

It was also quite reasonably priced in comparison to other systems I
looked at.  One minor thing is that their tech support does not have an
800 number, so you have to make long-distance calls to Alabama for tech
support or use the e-mail tech support service which can be slow.

All in all, I do recommend it although I have not looked at the new
products that have come out from the other companies since we purchased
our system.

Deborah Barlow Smedstad
Head Librarian
Los Angeles County Museum of Art