Dear Colleagues,

Thank you for all the great information regarding how to compute a dollar
value for my collection.

For the benefit of others who may be interested, I'll try to summarize here.
There seems to be number of ways to approach this and a varied range of
cost figures to assign to specific objects. I've listed all possible
catagories and ranges when more than one figure was given. Comments in
brackets ([ ]) are my assumptions as to the application.

RARE BOOKS
        each title individually appraised
    or
        "Special Collections" -- half @ $500 and half @ $1000
        "Vault Collection" -- $5000 [per title]
        "Artists' Books" -- $300 [per title]

BOOKS/CIRCULATING COLLECTION
        $60 [per volume]
     or
        $100 per volume
     or
        "Regular" -- $40 [per volume]
        "Oversize" -- $100 per volume
CURRENT PERIODICALS (unbound) -- $60 per subscription
BOUND PERIODICALS -- $100 per volume
MICROFORMS
        $15 per volume equivalent
     or
        $1000 per set
VERTICAL FILE MATERIALS
        $1 per clipping[/piece]
     or
        $5 per file
SLIDES -- $5 per slide
PICTURES/MOUNTED REPRODUCTIONS -- $0.25 to $2.00 per picture
POSTERS -- $50 per poster
FILMS/VIDEOTAPES
        $100 [per tape]
     or
        $200 per title
RECORD ALBUMS -- $15 [per disk]
AUDIOTAPES -- $10 per tape
COMPACT DISCS -- $40 [per disk]

PROCESSING -- "included" to $30 per volume[/item]

Most of those who responded to my request for information noted that the
figures that they were providing were agreed upon with their insurance
companies. So, I guess this information would be a jumping off point in
negotiations with your individual insurance providers.

One contributor also recommended that photographs be taken. I assume that
means photographing individual unique and/or expensive items as well as
general stacks/Library layout.

Thanks again to my contributors.

Deborah L. Barlow
Head Librarian