Dear Arlis-ites: Like Susan, we are having insitutional resistance to
installing a color copier. It would be quite useful for those with
ammunititon and persuasive savvy to respond to the list or to add my email
address to your response. ([log in to unmask])

Muchas gracias

Stephanie Sigala
St. Louis Art Museum

At 05:24 PM 2/11/98 EST, you wrote:
>Dear colleagues,
>
>For well over two years I have attempted to have a color photocopier for
>use by the public installed in our Fine Arts Library, and I have heard many
>reasons from the campus reprographics managers as to why this has not been
>accomplished. I would like to poll other art librarians in an attempt to
>get facts and figures that I can use to support my position.  If you offer
>color photocopying to the public in your library, could you please take a
>moment to answer the following questions, and reply to ME
>([log in to unmask]) and not to the list?
>
>Thank you very much for your assistance.  It is wonderful to have
>professional colleagues to call upon when additional ammunition is required.
>
>Questions:
>
>1) What brand color photocopier do you have in your library?  Are you
>satisfied with the quality of the copy?
>
>2) Can the public use the equipment without your assistance, or do you have
>to do the copying for them?
>
>3) What size copies does your machine offer, and what prices do you charge
>for each size?
>
>4)  How does the patron pay for the copy?  Do you accept cash from the
>patron, does the patron insert cash into the machine, or does the machine
>have a card reader?  If your machine has a card reader, what brand is it?
>(By card reader I mean the patron has acquired a pre-paid card with a
>specific value, inserts this card into a reader attached to the machine,
>and each time a copy is made the appropriate fee is deducted from the card.)
>
>5) What have you learned from your experiences of offering color
>photocopying to the public that you would be willing to share with someone
>just starting this venture?  IE, what do you know now that you wish you had
>known then?
>
>Thank you very much.
>
>Susan Wyngaard, Head
>Fine Arts Library
>Ohio State University
>Wexner Center for the Arts
>Columbus, Ohio 43210
>email:  [log in to unmask]
>tel & fax: 614-292-6184

Stephanie C. Sigala, Head Librarian           314-721-0072 x252
St. Louis Art Museum                          314-721-6172 (fax)
1 Fine Arts Drive, Forest Park                [log in to unmask]
St. Louis, MO 63110-1380
Co-Editor, ART DOCUMENTATION