Since a book I co-authored, LIVES AND WORKS: TALKS WITH WOMEN ARTISTS
(Scarecrow, 1996) has not been considered acceptable for review in Art
Documentation, I would like to call members' attention to this publication.
Although the publisher has chosen to label it volume 2, it is in no way
comparable to the first volume (published in 1981): different authors,
different artists, better editing, and more attractive layout.  The book,
written interviews with fourteen women artists, evolved from the Women Artists
Series at Douglass College Library (one of the oldest series, in an alternative
space, exclusively devoted to women artists--preceding by some months the
opening of the first alternative gallery in New York City!) The interviewees
were participants in that series (which I curated for eight years) and include
well-known names, such as Miriam Schapiro, as well as those less well-known and
less documented in the canon because of the medium or milieu in which they
work. The book has been used in a course taught at Rutgers University, Women in
Art, so I feel it is not without merit.

I am sorry that no one was asked to review the book, since I am obviously
hardly impartial. But I think that librarians in institutions that collect in
the area of women's studies, and particularly women's art, might like to know
about this title.

Beryl Smith
Art Librarian
Rutgers University Art Library