Our library system contracts with another university unit, a
university copier service.  They own the machines arrange for
service, stocking and ordering paper, collecting money,
refilling paper in the machines.  That service ordered the Xerox
machines the library recommended -- those with book copier edges
to save the spines.

Library staff handles simple jams, calling the copier service to
arrange for serving of problems, and filling the machines (if
they get run out of paper before the next rounds of the service
rep. (Which varies depending on the volume of use in that
particular library).

So far I've been pretty pleased.  A lot less work for us.

Jean Susorney Wellington
Classics Library
University of Cincinnati