Dear ARLIS listserve members:

Here at the Winterthur Library we will soon be using the new Virtua system
from VTLS for our new online catalog.  Our staff realized, while
discussing user instruction, that we would like to develop paper or "hard
copy" handouts to aid our patrons.  The Virtua system has a graphical user
interface and, in fact, we will employ its Web gateway.  We have seen
many
examples related to the older character-based online catalogs but would
like to become familiar with instruction aids geared to GUIs.  If your
library has developed such paper handouts, please contact me at the
addresses below.  I would be happy to give the list a summary of the
results.

Also, do users read multi-page instruction booklets located at public
workstations?  Are one-page handouts for patrons to keep as satisfactory
or does one complement the other?  Any comments or opinions would be
greatly appreciated.

Margaret Welch
Associate Librarian, Visual Resources
Winterthur Library