Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- As liaison with ALA ARTS Section I would like to invite those ARLIS members attending ALA Midwinter Conference in New Orleans to any of the ARTS meeting. I am forwarding Stephen Bloom's description regarding the intent of these meetings along with time and location. Hope this peaks your interest. PAULA -- Paula Epstein, Co-ordinator of Library Outreach Columbia College, 600 S. Michigan, Chicago, Il 60605-1996 [log in to unmask] (312) 344-7353 Fax: (312) 663-1707 Subject: New Orleans Conference Greetings to all. Sit back. This is a long one. Sorry. I want to let everyone know the latest information on the New Orleans Conference, and pass on a couple of items of interest which we will have a chance to talk about during our meetings. 1. First, here is the meeting schedule. I've taken the liberty of annotating the first two section-wide meetings so that some of the mystique of our precesses can be exposed for newcomers. What those annotations really mean is that you are all welcome, and we profit from your attendance and contributions. --All Committee Meeting: Saturday, Jan. 10, 1998 9:30am - 12:30pm; Radisson, Grand Ballroom B This is traditionally our first meeting of the conference. We meet briefly together for announcements, and then break into smaller meetings for each of the committees of the Section, including: Publications, Membership, Planning, Liaison, Dance Librarians, Government and Private Sector Activities, Technology and the Arts, and the Annual Conference Program Planning Committees. (Forgive me if I've forgotten anyone.) The results of these committee meetings are reported out to the General Membership Meeting on Sunday. The All Committees Meeting is a good chance for members who are interested in working on committees but not yet involved to sit in on discussions and test the waters. Our meetings are open, and we welcome your participation. This is also a good opportunity to ask about a committee appointment. --General Membership Meeting: Sunday, Jan. 11, 1998 9:30am - 12:30pm; Monteleone, Orleans W. This is, as its name indicates, our general membership meeting, and it doubles as an open Executive Committee meeting. This is where news of the activities and plans of the committees and Section as a whole are communicated, and where discussion of issues and decisions about the activities and direction of the Section are approved and communicated. I urge every member who can attend to do so. --Dance Librarians Discussion Group: Sunday, Jan. 11, 1998 2 - 4pm; Sheraton, Pontchatrain B. --Film and Broadcast Video Discussion Group: Monday, Jan. 12, 1998 2 - 4pm; Monteleone, Cabildo 2. The Section continues to need entries for our ongoing contest to design a new logo. As our newsletter explained, please send them to ARTS Newsletter Editor Peter McCracken, Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858. If you bring them to the conference, I will make sure they get to him. We want to have a winner by the annual conference in Washington. There will be a prize. In fact, we may discuss it at our Membership Meeting in New Orleans. 3. ACRL is also running a PR contest. I have the following from Mary Ellen Davis at ACRL: "Ehter the 'define ACRL' contest. The ACRL Board wants a good, pithy slogan that will, in no more than a catchy soundbite, describe the mission of ACRL. Nike has 'Just do it.' Now the Board wants you to do it for ACRL. The Board's initial brainstorming session generated ideas such as: 'Academic Libraries: where information becomesknowledge.' 'Helping people transfer information to knowledge.' 'Building great minds together.' The Board knows you can be more creative. Enter your ideas early and often. The deadline for submissions id Frb. 15, 1998. The winner will receive a complimentary registration to ACRL's 9th Annual Conference, April 8-11, 1999, in Detroit, as well as three nights lodging in a conference hotel. Groups may enter but must designate a single winner. Send your entries to ACRL Slogans, 50 East Huron St., Chicago, IL 60611, or e-mail to <[log in to unmask]>." 4. I've been notified also that the ACRL Board has again approved a $15,000 Initiative Fund for the 1998-99 budget. This is a competitive grant that provides opportunities for ACRL units to acquire funding for planning and implementating activities that are creative or leading edge and that support ACRL's Strategic Plan. In addition, the Board has voted to extend the use of initiative Funds to support partnering activities by Sections with appropriate learned societies. I'll have application information at our meetings in New Orleans. You might consider some possibilities for the membership's consideration. 5. Finally, I have received materials from ACRL describing the process for proposing amendments to the Strategic Plan.. I urge you to re-read the plan, and bring your thoughts to our discussions in New Orleans. I will have information on the procedure. If I can be of service or answer any questions before the conference, please let me know. The latest newsletter has my new address here in Portland, Maine. My e-mail is: <[log in to unmask]>. Enjoy the holiday season, I hope to see many of you in New Orleans. Steve Bloom. Chair, ACRL Arts --------------------------