The Boston Architectural Center Library is in the initial planning stages
of a major library automation project, which will include the selection and
purchase of an integrated library system.  This project will include
converting 25,000 book records to MARC format. To make this project even
more interesting, we are considering taking this opportunity for convert
the classification of our collection from its current, unique
classification system to LC. Our specialized classification scheme was
designed by the first professional librarian at the BAC to allow the use
the whole alphabet to classify the fields of architecture and related areas
of study in detail, with less detailed classification of the humanities and
general sciences.

Susan Lewis and I are sending this plea out in the hopes that there may be
some of our colleagues who have faced a similar conversion who would be
willing to share with us the decisions they made and any considerations
that helped them make their decisions.  While the current arrangement is
very straightforward, it has its limitations, not the least of which is
that students cannot transfer the expertise they gain in the use of our
collection to the use of a library using standard classification.

So any words of wisdom and experience will be greatly appreciated.  Please
reply off the list [log in to unmask] OR [log in to unmask]

Many thanks.

Sarah Dickinson, Associate Librarian
Susan Lewis, Head Librarian
Boston Architectural Center Library