Dear Esteemed Colleague:

We would like you to entertain an interest in membership in the Art
Libraries Society of North America.  ARLIS/NA is the largest professional
society representing individual art and architecture librarians and
visual resources curators and the institutions for which they work. Current
ARLIS/NA membership numbers more than 1,300, with all segments of art
information management represented, including book dealers, publishers,
museums and galleries, in addition to the individual librarians and
libraries that comprise our largest constituency.

Services to members include:

*  Art Documentation, a twice-yearly journal

*  ARLIS/NA Update, a bimonthly newsletter

*  ARLIS/NA Handbook and List of Members, published annually

*  publications on timely subjects of concern to the art library community,
including a series of Occasional Papers (titles published to date include
Standards for Art Libraries and Fine Arts Slide Collections, Current
Issues in Fine Arts Collection Development, Reference Tools for Fine Arts
Visual Resources Collection, and Procedural Guide to Automating an Art
Library)  and a two-issue series of shorter, timely subjects called Topical
Papers, the first volume of which, Cataloging Architecture  Drawings, and
the second, Concordance of Ancient Site Names.

*  an Annual Conference and exhibits display--our 1998 annual conference,
held in conjunction with the Visual Resources Association (VRA), at the
Doubletree Hotel in Philadelphia, PA, March 5-11.

*  four Sections for Architecture, Cataloging, Computers, and Reference and
Information Services; five Divisions for Academic, Art & Design School,
Museum, and Public Libraries, and Visual Resources

*  informal Round Tables for Decorative Arts, Film & Video, Gay & Lesbian
Interests, Indigenous Art and Culture, New Art, Serials, Space Planners,
and Women and Art.

*  a network of local chapters throughout the U.S. and Canada which sponsor
their own activities and publications

*  continuing education workshops

*  the ARLIS/NA Web site [http://afalib.uflib.ufl.edu/arlis] provides
continually updated information on relevant projets, publications, jobs,
and links to other sites.

ARLIS/NA offers three basic types of membership:  Individual,
Institutional, and Business Affiliate, with the option for any type to join
at the Sustaining or Sponsor levels.  Since only individual members may
vote, hold office, or join sections, divisions and round tables, many
libraries hold dual or multiple memberships, one for the institution and
one or more for individual staff members.  Business affiliate members
receive a 10% discount on all ARLIS/NA advertising, exhibit, and mailing
list rental fees.

If you have any questions about ARLIS/NA or the many services we offer to
our members, please call or write to Society headquarters
[[log in to unmask]].  We look forward to welcoming you into ARLIS/NA
membership soon. A membership application is available on the ARLIS/NA Web
site: http://afalib.uflib.ufl.edu/arlis

Sincerely,

Roger C. Lawson
President, ARLIS/NA