  Trudy,
     I'd like to elaborate a little over Brad Brace answer.  The conception
through the ear is indeed a reference to the "Word," actually a visual
translation of the beginning of the gospel according to John.  The quote
(John, I:1 and 14) goes: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with
God, and the Word was God....And the Word was made flesh..."
 Although I do not recollect any Italian painting where the beam of light from
God the Father or the Dove (the Holy Spirit) or from one through the other
literally enters the Virgin through the ear, I know of a good many examples
from the 1300s (Giotto, Simone Martini, Ambrogio Lorenzetti, Taddeo di Bartolo,
etc.) where such beam is directed to Mary's head and not generically
to her body as in later representations of the same subject.
Greetings, Anna

^