----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Dear Colleagues, Prompted by Maryly Snow's recent posting regarding the proposed dues increase, I've had the opportunity to review the documents prepared for consideration by the ARLIS/NA membership. Maryly's information (and the information sent along with the Bylaws amendments ballot) is correct: The proposed rate for annual membership in the Business Affiliate category is $105, not $135. My earlier posting was erroneously based a preliminary table that the Executive Board later revised. (Note: The proposed dues table can be viewed on the ARLIS/NA Web Site in the "News" section.) The proposal follows the scheme of the present dues structure. The current rate of $100 for business affiliate membership is higher than all but four of the individual membership category levels (above $60,000 annually); the proposed rate increase preserves that framework in 1999. There are twelve other individual membership levels that range from $90 ($55,000-$60,000 annually) to $50 (student). Elimination of fees for additional membership in Sections, Divisions, and Round Tables applies to all individual membership categories. The Executive Board believes that the rationale for approving the proposed dues structure is a sound one, and that modest increases across several categories are preferable to large increases in a select few. We also believe that it is consonant with the Strategic Plan's objectives to "identify and forge links with other affinity groups" (III.B) and to "improve communication among the membership and between groups within the Society" (IV.C). Roger C. Lawson President ARLIS/NA