The Wadsworth Atheneum has traditionally requested free copies of all
publications that contain illustrations of art work from the museum's
collection.  This exchange for photographic rights has formed an important
method of library collection development over the years.

As a graduate library science student and Atheneum library intern, I am
surveying several years worth of publishers' contracts to measure the level
of compliance with this program.  I would greatly appreciate input from
other librarians who oversee similar acquisition plans.

When an author or publisher contacts your museum with a request for a photo
transparency from your collection:

1.  What department handles the request?

2.  Does your contract stipulate that the publisher send a free copy of the
book to your library?

3.  If so, can you estimate the general level of compliance as a percentage
of all contracts?

4.  Are you willing to accept discounts rather than a free copy in the case
of expensive, limited-run publications such as catalogue raisonnes?

5.  Have you noted different rates of compliance between foreign and
domestic publishers?

6.  Have you noted different rates of compliance between scholarly presses
and commercial publishers?

7.  Have you noted an overall decline in compliance as the price of new
books continues to rise?

8.  Do you consider it unrealistic to expect this practice to continue in an
age where images are widely available on the INTERNET, etc.?

I will be happy to publish the results of this survey on ARLIS/L if there is
interest.
Thank you.

Dave Goodale, Library Intern
for John Teahan