Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Dear Colleagues, Although most of the Executive Board (including Treasurer Ross Day) is on holiday vacation, I would like to respond to the recent inquiries on ARLIS-L about the proposed dues increase, part of the bylaws amendments that are currently under consideration for vote by the membership. The rationale for a dues increase is clearly set forth in the explanation accompanying the ballot. Last summer the Executive Board examined the dues structures of other comparable non-profit professional organizations. Although none of the organizations matched our Society's profile exactly, we decided that a progressive, income-based structure was the best -- and fairest -- way to strengthen ARLIS/NA's financial base so that the Society can take a more active role in the art information field as set forth in the 1996-1999 Strategic Plan. The increases proposed are gradual and broadly based so as not to place an undue burden on any single segment of the Society's present and potential membership. The proposed structure expands the individual categories to more precise breakdowns by income level (with voluntary compliance). The rates for institutional and business affliate categories would also increase at an identical rate, though without a breakdown by budget or revenue. Yet there is a concern that the business affiliate category is not sufficiently distinguished from the individual categories. A close examination of the chart reveals that the proposed rate of $135 (a 35% increase) for business affiliate membership would, if approved, be higher than all but one of the individual membership levels (the one over $75,000 annually) in 1999. The fifteen other individual membership levels range from $120 ($70,000-$75,000 annually) to $40 (student). It is worth noting that although business affiliates receive the Society's publications as part of their membership, they are charged additional fees for mailing lists and for exhibiting products at our annual conferences. Many of our business affiliates also sponsor activities and awards that the Society might not otherwise be able to provide. The Executive Board feels that the proposed dues structure and increases strike a careful balance between the Society's need to improve its finances through a fair distribution of membership fees and, at the same time, fortify membership in all categories (specifically with regard to business affiliates, see Strategic Plan Action Item #113). As providers of the resources essential to the art information field, our business affiliates play a key role in the Society's efforts to achieve its goals. ARLIS-L provides an excellent forum for discussion of Society issues. The Executive Board welcomes your views on this or any relevant topic via this medium. Roger C. Lawson President ARLIS/NA