Well, this is a challenging issue that Maryly has raised.  When I served
on the Executive Board, I thought we agreed that business members should
pay slightly more--perhaps I am recalling this incorrectly.  Can the
Executive Board re-fresh our memories about why this dues change was
recommended. I am sure there must be a wise and logical reason for this.
        BJ Kish Irvine, FA Librarian

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Maryly Snow wrote:

> I am still in a quandry over how to vote on the
> first proposed change to the bylaws, the dues increase.
>
> I greatly support a dues increase for ARLIS/NA.
> Having recently served on the Executive Board, I
> am familiar with our financial position.  To support
> our services and our goals we need a dues increase.
> And the proposed dues increase will not change our
> dues position via comparable profession associations.
>
> However, I disagree strongly with the way the basic
> and business dues have been structured.  I do not think
> it is in the interests of librarians, the vast majority
> of whom work in non-profit institutions and in pay titles
> that are traditionally low for the amount of education
> required, to have librarians paying more dues than
> the business members.
>
> I have been hesitating to bring this up, not wishing
> to undermine the hard work of the Executive Board
> but still finding myself unable to feel happy with
> paying more for annual dues than those able-bodied
> entrepreneurs who supply us with books and slides.
> This may be a throw back to the 1960s, but I still
> believe that for-profit businesses and corporations
> should pay more for their share than non--profit
> public servants.
>
> I would very much like to see discussion of the pros
> and cons of this situation.  My position is that the
> Business Affiliate dues should be more than the highest
> Basic dues, not $30 lower than the highest Basic dues
> as presently structured.
>

> It is unfortunate that the amount of the dues is linked
> to the request for a dues increase. Otherwise, I'd vote yes for
> a dues increase, and no on the amount of the Business
> Affiliate.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Maryly Snow
> UC Berkeley