----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Nancy - Our institution is very different from yours, but having recently been through this process I thought I would share some definitions that helped us clarify what we needed to articulate. We worked on vision, values, mission, initiatives, objectives, and action plans. At the end of this message I have included as examples our vision, values, mission, and initiatives for our library. Good luck! Mary ------------------ Operational definitions of the terms: Vision - description of the preferred future for the organization, including the reason for existence. "Why?" Values - Guidng principles to refer to when making decisions and to refer to when choosing acceptable behaviors in the workplace. Mission - description of WHAT the organization must do, WHO the organization serves, and HOW the organization will reach the vision. Initiatives - annual themes chosen to direct and focus best efforts, objectives, toward the most critical issues the organization faces. "Inch-wide, mile deep paradigm" Everything tyou do should relate to your initiatives. Objectives - Qualitative and quanitative MEASURABLE statement of achievement which supports one or more initiatives, including the allocation or re-allocation of resources. Action plans - description of the actual steps to be taken to achieve stated objetives, including who is responsible and when steps will be completed. ------------------------------ UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY LIBRARIES OUR VISION We will be a leading user-centered provider of information resources and services, continually anticipating and responding to all information needs and expectations. OUR VALUES TEAMWORK We achieve better results through cooperation and collaboration. We commit to creating an environment that encourages working together. CREATIVITY We are open to innovative ideas and flexible solutions. We believe that life-long learning is essential. INTEGRITY We believe open and honest communication promotes trust. We adhere to the highest standards of personal and professional integrity. We value the trust placed in us by both our colleagues and users and we believe that to maintain trust we must be trustworthy. SERVICE We strive to seek out our users' needs. We provide quality services that meet or exceed our users' expectations. We strive to serve library employees as well as we serve our users. RESPECT We hold in high regard the strengths that individuals bring to the library We value an open, accepting, and diverse environment for employees and users. We treat users and employees with kindness, consideration and compassion. OUR MISSION As the major research library in the Commonwealth, we provide comprehensive access to information essential to teaching, research, and service at the University of Kentucky, through our human resources and maximum use of technology. As library staff meets these needs for the University community, we extend information services to the Commonwealth and make unique holdings available to the world. UK LIBRARIES -- 1997/98 INITIATIVES I. EMPLOYEE DEVELOPMENT Train and educate library employees in teamwork and information technology. II. TRANSFORMATION TO TEAMS Focus on development of shared vision and goals; team-based resource allocation; and building team culture. III. USER-CENTERED SERVICES Involve users and library employees in the creation and improvement of library services. Strengthen communication with users, including documentation of our services and access to holdings and with special emphasis on electronic resources. Collaborate with other institutions to enhance services to our users. IV. FACILITIES Complete and open William T. Young Library. Work on Phase II (King and information centers) building projects. _________________________________________ Mary Molinaro Team Leader, Young Library University of Kentucky Libraries 216A King South Lexington, Kentucky 40506-0039 [log in to unmask] 606-257-6308 (office) 606-257-8379 (fax) _________________________________________ See the progress of our new library at: http://www.uky.edu/Libraries/wty.html _________________________________________