I remember visiting a special section devoted to the visually impaired at the
Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford, CT several years ago.  It was full of visitors
and I bet the guides knew well how to utilize the material at hand
(literally...) I thought it was a wonderful idea. I do not know if the exhibits
are still there, but it may be worth trying to contact the museum directly for
information.
Wadsworth Atheneum
600 Main Street
Hartford, CT  06103