----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Colleagues-- I am reposting below, with permission, an email message that appeared on VRA-L several weeks ago. My colleague here at UVa, Jack Robertson, and I thought that the insights and behaviors that Patti wrote of after her traumatic experience would be of benefit to many on this listserve as well as VRA-L. Like most curators in slide collections, there are many of us in one-person libraries, down the hall around an obscure corner of the museum or in some lonely outpost on campus, who need to be aware of the safety issues this message raises. And as much as we are concerned for ourselves, we should also be concerned about the staff and students who work with/for us and may be closing down the library alone at midnight in a not particularly safe part of town. I think Patti showed considerable courage during her ordeal and perhaps even more afterwards in sharing what happened to her with so many. My thanks to Patti for allowing me to share her message even further. --Lynda ----------------------------------- Lynda S. White Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library University of Virginia Bayly Drive Charlottesville, VA 22903 [log in to unmask] (804) 924-6604 -------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 15:38:09 PST From: Patricia McRae <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Slide Curator robbed at knifepoint in VRC To: Multiple recipients of list VRA-L <[log in to unmask]> Dear Friends of the VRA, I, Patricia McRae VR Curator at UNLV was robbed at knife-point in my slide library last Friday morning I was bound and gagged and left tied up on the floor by a dangerous criminal. I must share this with you all because I need support so that my institution will take the appropriate measures to increase the security. I am a ONE PERSON SLIDE ROOM AND WAS ALONE- of course!! Please read on- I am seeking your suggestions and experiences to take to my administration who have been less than overwhelming with their support! I had just opened the VRC at 8 on Friday, Aug. 22 when a young African American male walked in came right up to me and stuck a 6" Bowie knife to my chest. I AM PHYSICALLY UNHARMED except for abrasions on my wrists and ankles where he tied me up. He forced me to lie down on the ground- I did not know if he was going to rape me or kill me. He tied my hands behind my back with shoelaces but I didn't know at the time what it was he was using. Then he forced me to stand up on my own and he commanded me to shut up and not say anything. He pushed me around the slide room looking for a place to stash me. I did not know what he was planning to do next; it did seem to me he wanted to rob me. From the moment I realized what was going on (when I absorbed the fact that he had a huge knife) I chose to be calm. I remained calm throughout the ordeal, which went on for about 15 minutes. I made a conscious decision to not look at his face again so he wouldn't feel the need to kill me. I began praying immediately!!!! He pushed me over to one side of the room and saw the slide sorting table. He demanded I lie face dowm under the table. It was then that he tied my ankles together and gagged me with some white tape. I was left there face down in the slide room while he ransacked my office in the other room. A few minutes later he came back and hunkered down next to me and I could see out of the corner of my eye he was holding a black electronic device in his hand. He cut the tape so I could talk and then he shoved two of my credit cards under my nose. He demanded the PIN numbers. I was terrified because I only knew one of them. I told him I didn't know the UNLV Diner's Club card and never used it. "You better know the other one" he demanded menacingly. I told him the number and he punched it into the machine. "That's not it." he said. I insisted it was and he should try again. He did. Then, "no, it's not. You're lying!" "I'm not being coy with you. Look at me. I'm lying here tied up. Why would I lie to you? This IS the number." He tried it again a few more times and said nothing. Then he retaped my mouth shut and said, "don't worry, I'm not going to touch you again." He walked back towards the office and as he left the room he said, "thanks for lying" in a sarcastic tone. He continued to ransack the room for a few minutes and the last thing he took was the candy from SACRED candy dish. He left through the doors he came in, and I was terrified in a different way because I didn't know if he was coming back and what would he do if I was trying to escape and he came back and caught me? I lay there for about 2 minutes and decided I just had to move my body which had been stock still for about 10 minutes and once I started moving I just couldn't stop. I managed to get to my feet and hop towards the office. Then I saw he had turned the light off and I figured he wasn't coming back. I somehow managed to loosen the bonds enough to reach the phone- I still don't know how I did it- and call for help. There are so many more details, but these are the bare essentials. I was liberated- not soon enough!- and have been getting professional help, spent 3 hours with Fr. Leo Coughlin and I have post traumatic stress syndrome BIG TIME. Thank GOD I am alive and getting better. I had been staying at friend's houses because I was not going to stay alone at my apt.- he took my purse and all my keys and my briefcase and every piece of ID I possessed including my passport as well as my computer (my beloved database! He stole the ENTIRE CATALOG!), mouse and printer. TAKE note- I made many decisions the experts tell me saved my life- I stopped looking at him; I remained calm and in control of my emotions instead of doing the hysterical female thing; I complied with his demands; I was truthful; I pushed my jaw out while he bound my mouth so it would possibly have some slack when I relaxed my face so I could chew my way out of it (which is exactly what I did); and most of all I trusted God to protect me which He did by keeping me from more than just falling apart, He upheld me with His spirit. There are many more details that I will not belabor here. The good news- he has been apprehended in Colorado and they are working on extradicting him. They found all my things and my personal stuff as well along with a ton of UNLV computer equipment. He had been burglarizing campus for a week, but NO ONE WAS INFORMED OF THEFTS AT ALL. He will face at least armed robbery and kidnapping for what he did to me (forcibly restraining a person and then moving against their will and tying them up and gagging them some more is considered kidnapping, even if it was just from one side of hte room to the other). He actually has confessed to his crime against me! This is the very scary and horrible part. The van he was driving was stolen about 13 days ago at Lake Tahoe. The woman he took it from is considered "dangerously missing". I think we all know what that means. I think he confessed to what he did to me to better get out of what he did to her. How many of us have wondered what if....? Well, I now have the unpleasant experience and the joy of living to tell about it. What I am hoping you can do for me (and for all of us) is submit your security plans, measures, contingencies, methods, etc. I am CONVINCED that the key is TRAFFIC. If you agree that putting a slide room in a heavy traffic area solves a lot of security problems vis-a-vis the personal safety of the usually-single-person-facility, then please email me! ?The rooms I managed were obscure and hard to find and utterly off the beaten tracke. How about your space? My space has no windows at all; does yours? Where is it located? How many people come and go? This guy cased the place. He never acted in a hurry at all- even lifted and replaced the lid when he stole the candy I keep for faculty and students. He KNEW I was alone and he would not be interrupted. Solving this problem is the university's, not mine, but I need your backing if they get wishy washy. I am not afraid of them. I was almost murdered, so they don't scare me. Thank you for your help. I will recover; I never for a second was the victim of his crime, only the subject. The post traumatic stress syndrome will eventually leave, but I am stuck with a room I refuse to enter (could you?) and they don't have any bright ideas. I thank you all in advance for your suggestions and prayers. Patricia McRae, STILL the VR Curator at UNLV [log in to unmask] $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"Liberace, Elvis. Elvis, Liberace."$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Patricia McRae [log in to unmask] UNLV Department of Art (702) 895-3758 4505 Maryland Parkway FAX (702) 895-4346 Box 455002 Department # (702) 895-4347 La$ Vega$, NV 89154-5002 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"Just another day in Paradise (Valley)"$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$