----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Can anyone help with the following query from a curator? I am researching a series of some fifty studio tableaux photographs of Australian Aboriginals made in Grafton, New South Wales circa 1872 by the German-born Australian photographer J. W. Lindt (1845-1926). Lindt is considered a major figure in nineteenth century photography in Australia. Lindt actively marketed and exhibited the 1872 images worldwide for some 30 years; first from Grafton where he had established his first studio as well as by subscription from his later Melbourne studios. Lindt won medals for his photographs in Australia as well as in Philadelphia and Paris prior to 1880. Most prints are albumen silver prints, some in carte-de-visite form. Several editions of a dozen images were released in red, green and blue slip-case portfolios titled Album of Australian Aboriginals. In the 1890s Lindt also made enlargements on toned silver gelatin papers c1890 but appears to have ceased supplying images after 1900. Lindt's portfolios in particular appear to be among the most widely disseminated images of Australian Aboriginal people in the 19th century. I would be most grateful if you would inform me if your institution holds any of the Aboriginal tableaux photographs or any other works by Lindt (he did a series of similar tableaux showing European/Australian squatters and miners). Any other documentary material, such as invoices or correspondence would be of interest. Please reply to me direct at: [log in to unmask] Many thanks J. Margaret Shaw Chief Librarian National Gallery of Australia Research Library GPO Box 1150 Canberra ACT 2601 Australia Telephone: 61-(0)2-6240 6532 Fax: 61-(0)2-6273 2155 E-Mail: [log in to unmask]