Dear Colleagues,

I'm posting a message for someone unsubscribed to ARLIS.L.
Please send your answers to me, at [log in to unmask]
Thanks.

Nancy Norris
UCLA
We have a set of Japanese woodblock prints which is a forgery of a set
!  done by a famous Japanese artist, Hiroshige. The prints look very
!  much like the originals, with some minor but noticeable changes, such as
!  adding a few more persons to the original pictures. The signature of
!  the original artist was also forged. We do not have any information on
!  the forger and the date the work was done.
!
!  Here is how we catalog the material:
!
!  - title main entry
!  - added entry for the original artist (Or, should we add name-title
!       added entry?)
!  - a note indicating that the set is a forgery
!  - subject headings appropriate to the new work
!
!  Are we doing it right? Is there anything we missed? Thanks for your
!  help.
!
!  Sarah

P.s. Since the original artist is very well known and the set of prints
(The 53 stations/stages of the Tokaido) was his masterpiece, we have a
book that introduces the art work. Besides, the quality of the forgery
is poorer than the original. (The forger's name is unknown.)

My Japanese colleague told me that forgeries of this work are widely
available in Japan even now-a-days (mainly sold to tourists).

Since I am not a subscriber of the ARLIS-L, please post the question
for me. Thanks a lot.
!
!  Sarah Su-erh Elman
!  East Asian Library, UCLA