September 22, 1997:  ARLIS/NA Endorses CONFERENCE on FAIR USE JOINT STATEMENT

After due consideration and recommendation by the Public Policy Committee,
the Executive Board of the Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA)
voted to endorse the CONFERENCE on FAIR USE JOINT STATEMENT.

As noted in the ALA press release, "Recognizing its responsibility to meet
this
need, and to help assure that Fair use and other privileges remain vital in
the
Information Age, ALA has joined 13 other major national library, scholarly and
educational
associations in supporting the following statement regarding the CONFU
process. Significantly, the statement not only looks back at CONFU, but ahead
in
outlining a set of precepts and goals that will guide ALA's future efforts in
this
important and controversial policy arena." < http://www.ala.org/washoff/confu.h
tml >

Certainly ARLIS/NA is keenly invested in and recognizes the potential benefits
to accrue from the development of guidelines. However, for such guidelines to
be wholeheartedly embraced they must serve the needs of the society
constituency
as a whole. It was felt that this could not be said of the CONFU "Proposal for
the
Educational Fair Use of Digital Images," which ARLIS/NA rejected in April 1997.

However, ARLIS/NA believes that this JOINT STATEMENT provides a reasonable
foundation upon which to base current and future practices and directions on
the uses of copyrighted works in the digital environment. Further, we believe
that the STATEMENT's precepts and goals are in keeping with and serve to
promote the mission and goals of ARLIS/NA.

We applaud and support this worthy effort and trust that this endeavor will
provide a forum for productive discussion and debate about these issues in the
aftermath of the CONFU process.

Katherine Poole & Hinda Sklar
Co-Chairs, Public Policy Committee
__________
Katherine Poole
Rotch Library Visual Collections, M.I.T.
77 Mass. Ave., 7-304

- --------------------------
- --------------------------

3. Draft of an official endorsement letter:

ARLIS/NA
Art Libraries Society of North America
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 201
Raleigh, NC 27607

September 22, 1997

Adam Eisgrau, Legislative Counsel
American Library Association
Washington Office
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.
Suite 403
Wash., DC  20004

Dear Mr. Eisgrau,

After due consideration and upon the recommendation of the Public
Policy Committee, the Art Libraries Society of North America, ARLIS/NA, is
pleased to offer its official endorsement of the CONFERENCE ON FAIR USE JOINT
STATEMENT.

Certainly ARLIS/NA is keenly invested in and recognizes the potential
benefits to accrue from the development of guidelines. However, for such
guidelines to be wholeheartedly embraced they must serve the needs of the
society constituency as a whole. It was felt that this could not be said of
the CONFU "Proposal for the Educational Fair Use of Digital Images," which
ARLIS/NA rejected in April 1997.

However, ARLIS/NA believes that the CONFERENCE on FAIR USE JOINT STATEMENT
provides a reasonable foundation upon which to base current and future
practices and directions on the uses of copyrighted works in the digital
environment.

Further, we are agreed that the STATEMENT's precepts and goals are in keeping
with and
serve to promote the mission and goals of ARLIS/NA. We applaud and support
this worthy effort and we trust that this endeavor will provide a forum for
productive discussion and debate about
these issues in the aftermath of the CONFU process.

Sincerely,

Roger Lawson, President
Art Libraries Society of North America
National Gallery of Art Library
6th St. & Constitution Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20565
 Tel.: 202-842-6529

_________
Katherine Poole
Rotch Library Visual Collections, M.I.T.
77 Mass. Ave., 7-304
Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
1-617-253-7098

------- End of Forwarded Message