I think it's still worth collecting auction results for two reasons: first,
it's a great convenience for the reader to find the auction results tipped
in to the actual catalog, and second, the staff members who actually do the
work are not being taken away from other, more pressing tasks to do so.
However, given the point you make about the ready availability of such
information, I'm wondering how much time we should spend chasing around
after sales results which we have not received and how important it is that
we record whether or not we have received the price list in our SCIPIO
records. As Daniel notes, there is still the need to record pricing
information for older catalogs which were priced by hand.

>Date:    Fri, 12 Sep 1997 17:50:37 EDT
>From:    Daniel Starr <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: auction results

>Now that there are so many electronic indexes to auction results have any
>libraries that collect auction catalogs stopped bothering to collect and
>tip in auction results?  Is the priced vs. not priced distinction still
>useful to make for current catalogs?
>Daniel Starr
>Museum of Modern Art

Ann Leslie Jones                                      312-443-3526 (voice)
Assistant Head of Technical Services      312-443-0849 (fax)
Ryerson & Burnham Libraries               [log in to unmask]
The Art Institute of Chicago