At the Memorial Art Gallery, which is an art museum (no clear in our
name), we have many specialized collections.  I have as complete a set
of objects in our collection as the curatorial department provides.
This includes some wonderful details.

We have an annual juried art show with artists from many counties around
our city, going on for 54 years.  In the archives, I have sets of slides
of the winners each year.  In addition, however, I have received all the
slides submitted but not included and have organized them by medium for
use by our art school.  This gives them many examples of what local
artists are producing.  The only information I have added to the label
as they come to us from the artist is the year of the art show for which
they were submitted (I can't go back to contact each artist if they
themselves have not provided complete information on their submitted
slides).  The studio art teachers love these slides.

As with other slide libraries, I have a number of slides of local
architecture, that include Frank Lloyd Wright, Louis Kahn, Claude
Bragdon, McKim, Mead and White.  However, I also have slides of two
early local Galleries that were defunct before the turn of the century.
These are interesting since many of the works are now in other cities in
major collections, and also to show how art was displayed in the
previous century.

My slide collection grows in odd ways, based on lecturer's needs as well
as on classes of art history, based in part on current exhibitions.

I hope that this helps

Susan Nurse
Visual Resource Curator
Memorial Art Gallery