For all of our A/V materials (videos, CDs, CDROMs, audiocassettes,
lasers)we have a display dummy for the public to see and keep the items
themselves in the reserve room at the circulation desk. Patrons may
check the items out or use them in the library by leaving their ID at
the front desk.

We are going to begin using one of those fanning display stands for all
of the media except videos. Storage space is rapidly becoming an issue
for us and we just renovated the library in 1994 which doubled our
storage space!

My preference would be to start securing each item and put the CDs out
for the patron to pick up and take to the circulation desk. 3M provides
the security strips for all media forms (not sure about laserdiscs). (We
already use the 3M for the books.) We will be securing our videos as
soon as we get the funding.

Hope this helps. I look forward to seeing what other people are doing.

Frances Adams-O'Brien
Technical Services Librarian
Ringling School of Art and Design
Sarasota, Florida