Some thoughts for the day ahead.....

"On Aug 7, Andrea Segall wrote:
-Also, I'm curious about why Sandak slides went out of
business.  Does it have anything to do with the new
technologies making slides less desirable?"
There have been many expressions of <wonder> like Andrea's as well as
more along the lines of <what are we going to do?> and so I have been
following this thread with more than the usual (?)prurient interest
during the past few weeks.
Sandak's departure from the visual resources scene has not been the only
vendor/photographer in the last two years; perhaps in Sandak's corporate
owners it was a case of not making enough of the "big bucks", but in
others I think it might also be just sheer frustration!
Frustration because of lack of interest, of support from the academic
community; perhaps the answer really does lie closer to home than many
would care to admit.  I am sure that there are individuals like
ourselves with a keen interest in Art History & Architecture that,
coupled with a knowledge of photography, go out seeking to record, to
document the places & objects that excite their curiosity.  If this
interest is combined with knowledge of the periods & styles that lead to
providing others in the art world with good quality images, and
furthermore is directly linked to course content, then it is a natural
progression to seek to become a "provider".
Of course such individuals want to be paid for services, otherwise from
whence would come reimbursement of the expenses of travel, labour &
materials?  If the so-called services of being a slide/image provider
are not of value, the subjects in Paris, Rome or Athens are no longer
being taught, then the images won't be purchased, by anyone.....
If the lecturer or the art historian groups were somehow able to be
polled, would they prefer a vibrant Kodachrome or a scanned page from
Gardner or Jansen et al, I wonder what the results might be?
In closing I would like to give an indication of the sort of decision
problems we, personally, are faced with:-
Earlier this Summer we announced that we would be photographing in
SICILY and in SPAIN -(especially CORDOBA, GRANADA, MERIDA & SEVILLE) -
we asked that those interested to advise HAA of their interest.  And the
response?  Just ONE slide curator has contacted us!
Do we go or not?

Thanks everyone for your time
Alec-
HARTILL ART ASSOCIATES