----------------------------Original message---------------------------- ARLIS-L, VRA-L, & WebCat-L members, [Hope you'll forgive the cross post!] Below is the long version, part 2, of the last 7 of the 14 responses to our July 29th request for help and questionnaire (included in some of the responses below) on placing approximately 60,000 slide catalog records and images in a Public Access Catalog available over the Internet. Part 1, responses 1-7 of the long version was posted earlier and was preceded by a short, summary version. Thanks again, Michael Robertson, http://www.rit.edu/~marwml Wallace Library, Rochester Institute of Technology, http://wally.rit.edu/ *********************************** Respondents 8-14 of 14: 8) Ann MacCallum <[log in to unmask]>, Institute of the Arts Library, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia 9) Lynda S. White <[log in to unmask]>, Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA 10) Marti Pike <[log in to unmask]>, Head, Technical Services, Woodbury University Library, Burbank, CA, USA 11) Cindy Turner, Architecture Slide Curator, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, Indiana, USA 12) Andrea Frank <[log in to unmask]>, Boston College, Boston, Massachusetts, USA 13) Jane Leahy <[log in to unmask]>, University of Western Australia Library, Perth 14) Janet Webb, Librarian, Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, Vancouver, BC, Canada ************************************ Responses 8-14 (pt. 2): [responses 1-7 are in a "LONG version, pt. 1" mail message] ************************************ Return-path: <[log in to unmask]> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 14:31:28 +1000 From: [log in to unmask] (Ann MacCallum) Subject: Slide Library PAC's To: [log in to unmask] Michael Your message about library pacs has been passed on to me by our Art LIbrarian. I do not know if you still need information about this subject, but here is what we do at the Institute of the Arts Library. 1 We do not incorporate the information about slides in the collection, in the main catalogue 2 We set up a separate database to record the slides in our collection. We use hard disc Mac Centris 660AV, and our software is 4D. We have a slide collection of medium size (60000 app.) of which almost 40000 have been entered on the database 3 We are digitising images to be entered in the catalogue entry on the database. We send 100 slides to Kodak to be put on a photo CD with 5 resolutions. When we get the disc back we use Adobe photoshop to digitise and store the images and enter on the computer in the relevant slide entry This latter procedure is taking some time because it is affected by resources e.g. money in the budget. We are giving priority to Australian art. At the present time we have about 700 images on our database. We have not made this available beyond the library at the present time because of copyright. There should be no difficulty in making the database available on the web when the copyright hurdle has been cleared. I hope this small amount of information is of help to you. The Institute of the Arts does have a web site: http://online.anu.edu.au/ITA/AusArts/ If you can access it there is a CSA Gallery which contains images Sincerely Ann MacCallum ************************************ Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 10:53:46 -0400 (EDT) From: "Lynda S. White" <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Slide library PAC's & Library PAC's help (fwd) To: [log in to unmask] According to Michael Robertson: > > 1) Are you cataloging/integrating your slide library into your general > library book catalog, or are you keeping a separate online catalog of your > slide library that is not integrated with your general library catalog? Currently slides are integrated with the book catalog; however, we are trying to figure out a way to remove them from the book catalog but still have access to the image database from the book catalog. > 2) If you do keep a separate online slide catalog, what database system > are you using? EmbARK, Informix Illustra, Oracle MediaServer, Microsoft > Access, FileMaker Pro, OCLC SiteSearch/WebZ or another Z39.50 database > server, a locally-created system? > > 3) If you've integrated it into your library's online catalog and/or > WebPAC, who is your vendor and are your users happy with the integration > of slides with traditional book material? We use Sirsi Unicorn. Our students love it, but faculty and library administration do not, which is why we're trying to remove the slide records. Another consideration: we opted to create individual records for each slide rather than for each building. When you have a hundred or more images of a single building it really clutters up the display screens. > 4) Do you have a digitized image linked to each slide catalog record? No. Because it's probably illegal and because it would take a lifetime to do. However, it's _possible_ to do. We have images stored in a different server and can put the URL in the 856 field. This is actually pretty cool. But the problems are: the URLs might change and there's no way to constantly check thousands of URLs. And because of the clutter problem we began doing collection level records so that there are many images attached to one record. Rumor has it that a Perl script can be written to connect the one record in Sirsi to the many image files on the image server, but we haven't done that yet. > 5) Have you looked at using or are you using a Z39.50 compliant server for your slide catalog? > If yes, which one? Sirsi is Z39.50 compliant. We are looking at another product they have to see whether we can use it for slides (and other things they don't want cluttering up the book catalog yet want to provide access to). If that doesn't work, we would certainly still be looking for a product that is compliant. > 6) What catalog (or metadata) fields have you used for your slide catalog > record? In other words, are you using: > a) the VRA core categories draft, http://www.oberlin.edu/~art/vra/core.html? > b) the CNI/OCLC Workshop on Metadata for Networked Images fields based on > the Dublin Core >(http://www.oclc.org:5046/conferences/imagemeta/index.html)? > c) the MESL Data Dictionary v.1.0, 2d draft > (http://www.gii.getty.edu/mesl/about/docs/datadict.html)? > d) fields defined locally by you? > e) fields mapped to the MARC record you adapted locally for slides? We use modified MARC records. If we have to switch out of Sirsi we will probably use the VRA Core--since I'm on the committee. :-) I don't think the Dublin Core is appropriate/enough to catalog images of art and architecture. And MESL is much too geared toward museum needs. > 7) May we look at your site on the Internet? Sure. http://www.lib.virginia.edu/ > Any and all responses to the above questions and other comments beyond > these are very much appreciated! > > I'll be glad to collate the results and post them to the list if anyone's > interested. VERY INTERESTED! Yes, please post to the list. I know there are 20-30 MARC users out there, but am always curious to find more. --Lynda ----------------------------------- Lynda S. White Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library University of Virginia Bayly Drive Charlottesville, VA 22903 [log in to unmask] (804) 924-6604 ------------------------------------ ************************************ Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:07:48 -0700 (PDT) From: [log in to unmask] Subject: Slide Library PAC To: [log in to unmask] Cc: [log in to unmask] Michael, We are currently planning to download our slide database from our Vax POISE system into Sirsi. With the way I set it up, we can just change the field names to MARC tag numbers & it should interface with Sirsi. Of course, we discussed the integration question and I think the answer was to create a separate icon. In other words, at the opening menu, one would be given the choice of library catalog, online databases, slide catalog, etc. Sirsi is fully Z39.50 compliant, however, we are not up on the internet at this point (in the works). In answer to the digitalization part of your question, I will forward to you the message I sent to Robert Goodman, LS student at Drexal, in response to his question. The website for Sirsi is www.sirsi.com. Good luck, Marti Pike Head, Technical Services Woodbury University Library Burbank, CA [log in to unmask] Return-path: <[log in to unmask]> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:10:49 -0700 (PDT) From: [log in to unmask] Subject: Slide catalogs To: [log in to unmask] From: VAXA::MARTI 24-JUL-1997 08:04:52.61 To: SMTP%"[log in to unmask]" CC: MARTI Subj: image databases Robert, I went to the Sirsi Corp.'s user group conference in May. They introduced their new imaging system, Hyerion - and from my understanding, it is fully integrated with the rest of their library package. I did not get a chance to talk to the sales rep about it, but from what I overheard, it did not sound like it was capabable of storing any thing as large as a slide database. Someone asked & was told it would store about 15,000 graphical images. Right now, they are aiming it at archival use. However, I feel that by the time we are ready to digitalize our slide collection - some years down the road, I would bet that they would be ready. They did say that any image scanned into the imaging system could be readily linked to an item record in the Sirsi system. That is, if we download our slide management database into Sirsi as we plan, that when we digitalize, we will already have the textual record there. I may be overly hopeful, but Sirsi has been a forerunner with other similiar issues. For more info, look at their home page, www.sirsi.com. Hope this helps. Good luck! Marti Pike Woodbury University Library Burbank, CA [log in to unmask] ************************************ Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 15:12:30 -0700 From: Cindy Turner <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Listserv questionnaire about slide catalogs To: [log in to unmask] Cc: Cindy Turner <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Meyer <[log in to unmask]> Organization: ball state university libraries 1) Are you cataloging/integrating your slide library into your general library book catalog, or are you keeping a separate online catalog of your slide library that is not integrated with your general library catalog? Our collection of 100,000 slides (primarily of architecture, landscape architecture, urban planning & design, historic preservation and to a lessor degree Indiana architecture and art) is completely cataloged in an integrated catalog with the library's book catalog. Most of the slides have been cataloged individually with full catalog records with access to site titles, architect's names, locations, set titles, bibliographic information and keyword searching. Other slides are cataloged according to their set information only. 2) If you do keep a separate online slide catalog, what database system are you using? EmbARK, Informix Illustra, Oracle MediaServer, Microsoft Access, FileMaker Pro, OCLC SiteSearch/WebZ or another Z39.50 database server, a locally-created system? Not applicable. 3) If you've integrated it into your library's online catalog and/or WebPAC, who is your vendor and are your users happy with the integration of slides with traditional book material? We are currently using a NOTIS system. Our patrons are usually very happy with this system as it is accessible to them in all library workstations as well as through the web and modem access. The only big complaint has been from the patrons looking only for books...they don't want to browse the long lists of slides that are often mixed in with the book titles. The solution to this problem is found by using a keyword search. In a keyword search you can search the title and then specify that you want to exclude slides. An example might be: k=wright frank lloyd not slide 4) Do you have a digitized image linked to each slide catalog record? No. We are looking into the possibility of this in the future. Currently we (like many other people) struggle with copyright clearance problems. 5) Have you looked at using or are you using a Z39.50 compliant server for your slide catalog? I am not familiar with this type of server. If yes, which one? 6) What catalog (or metadata) fields have you used for your slide catalog record? In other words, are you using: a) the VRA core categories draft, http://www.oberlin.edu/~art/vra/core.html? b) the CNI/OCLC Workshop on Metadata for Networked Images fields based on the Dublin Core (http://www.oclc.org:5046/conferences/imagemeta/index.html)? c) the MESL Data Dictionary v.1.0, 2d draft (http://www.gii.getty.edu/mesl/about/docs/datadict.html)? d) fields defined locally by you? e) fields mapped to the MARC record you adapted locally for slides? We use fields mapped to the MARC record that are adapted locally for slides. We have several types of records that are used (when appropriate) for slides. We have individual records for individual slides (this is the method used prior to 1990 based on an antiquated tape load local computer system. We also catalog slides using a collection level record that uses one title field for a variety of slides from different vendors. This type of catalog record allows us to continually add new slides (of a specific place, although a variety of views) without adding completely new cataloging records. 7) May we look at your site on the Internet? Yes. You can find the library web page at: http://lib.bsu.edu Once you get to the library web page you will need to go into ANSER (found under the heading "Search Library Catalogs". There are instructions there about accessing the public catalog through the WWW. When you get into our ANSER catalog do a keyword search on Empire State Building (search - k=empire state building and slide) qualified by the word slide. You should get 18 hits. The first entry is a collection level record. At the prompt in that record, type "LO" to get to the long view of the record. You must do this to see the contents note where all of the various views of images of this building are listed. The other entries in the index are all for individual slide records. There is not currently a web page specific to the Slide Collection although one is currently under construction. If you need help in getting to our web site, please let me or a librarian here know. Sincerely, Cindy Turner Architecture Slide Curator ************************************ Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 11:30:50 -0400 From: Andrea Frank <[log in to unmask]> Subject: slide library PACs (or not!) Sender: [log in to unmask] To: [log in to unmask] 1) Are you cataloging/integrating your slide library into your general library book catalog, or are you keeping a separate online catalog of your slide library that is not integrated with your general library catalog? We keep a separate catalog of our departmental collection, available on computers only in the slide library since not even any departmental faculty have expressed interest in having access to it elsewhere (I'm really the only one who uses it much). Frankly, as an understaffed departmental collection with limited resources, I am not anxious to advertise our existence to everyone who uses the main library catalog (though we do allow all University faculty access to the slide collection). Also, I do not want to have to adapt my cataloging to MARC. 2) If you do keep a separate online slide catalog, what database system are you using? EmbARK, Informix Illustra, Oracle MediaServer, Microsoft Access, FileMaker Pro, OCLC SiteSearch/WebZ or another Z39.50 database server, a locally-created system? A locally-created system using 4th Dimension software. 3) If you've integrated it into your library's online catalog and/or WebPAC, who is your vendor and are your users happy with the integration of slides with traditional book material? N/A 4) Do you have a digitized image linked to each slide catalog record? Not yet, possibly not ever if I don't get some more help. 5) Have you looked at using or are you using a Z39.50 compliant server for your slide catalog? No. If yes, which one? 6) What catalog (or metadata) fields have you used for your slide catalog record? In other words, are you using: a) the VRA core categories draft, http://www.oberlin.edu/~art/vra/core.html? b) the CNI/OCLC Workshop on Metadata for Networked Images fields based on the Dublin Core (http://www.oclc.org:5046/conferences/imagemeta/index.html)? c) the MESL Data Dictionary v.1.0, 2d draft (http://www.gii.getty.edu/mesl/about/docs/datadict.html)? d) fields defined locally by you? e) fields mapped to the MARC record you adapted locally for slides? I use locally created fields which predate both the VRA core categories and the CDWA, but I've mapped my fields to both. 7) May we look at your site on the Internet? It's not there. Good luck! ---------------------- Andrea Frank [log in to unmask] Boston College ************************************ Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 08:24:05 +0800 From: Jane Leahy <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Slide library PAC's & Library WebPAC help To: [log in to unmask] Dear Michael We would be most interested in seeing what responses you get to this. Here at UWA, we have a reasonably large collection of art slides (about 48,000 slides) which we currently classify/store according to the Santa Cruz classification system. Each slide set is catalogued and included in our online catalogue (we use Innopac), but there is no bibliographic access through the catalogue to each individual slide. We have long threatened to digitise - but have not so far had the money. But I am keen to do something - even if it is simply to improve the current level of bibliographic access and include detailed contents notes (for each slide) in the record for the set. At least that might set us up for providing links to the digitised images - if and when they materialise. Jane *********************************** Return-path: <[log in to unmask]> Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 13:49:25 -0700 From: Janet Webb <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Slide library PAC's & Library PAC's help To: [log in to unmask] References: <[log in to unmask]> > 1) Are you cataloging/integrating your slide library into your > general library book catalog, or are you keeping a separate online catalog > of your slide library that is not integrated with your general library > catalog? We currently use a card catalogue for our slide collection. We are certainly interested in the results of your survey as we will be facing the automation question inevitably. Thanks, Janet. -- Janet Webb Librarian Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design TEL: 604 844-3807 FAX: 604 844-3801 ************************************ ##END, part 2