>We have a number of pieces of art in the library's collection for which
>we've done identifying labels (mounted on mat board).  We've used a variety
>of temporary glues but nothing seems to hold up.  Before I start sticking
>small nails in our walls I wondered if someone had a good suggestion for an
>adhesive. I don't want to permanently affix the labels to the walls as it
>seems likely that part of our collection will be rotating to various city
>offices in the next year or so (and I've just gotten new wallpaper which I
>am loathe to mess up).
>
>Part of our problem (of course) could be Florida's intense humidity and the
>inconsistencies of our air conditioning.

You might try self adhesive velcro strips.  We've used it for affixing
labels to the museum walls (under the same humid and hot conditions!) and
had no problem with labels (mounted on mat bd) staying in place.  The
velcro removed cleanly from wall, leaving no visible residue.  It will tear
the back of the mat board, if you attempt to remove it, though.  We bought
adhesive velcro by the foot from a fabric store and cut it about 1" pieces.
I would test it on the wall paper before I used it...we have painted sheet
rock walls, which doesn't mar with the velcro.

Elizabeth Schexnyder

Elizabeth Schexnyder
Assistant to the Director
University Art Museum