ARLIS-L, VRA-L, & WebCat-L members,
[Hope you'll forgive the cross post!]

Below is a short version of the 14 responses to our July 29th request for
help and questionnaire (below) on placing approximately 60,000 slide
catalog records and images in a Public Access Catalog available over the
Internet.  I'll also post the complete responses from everyone in two parts
of 7 responses each labeled "LONG VERSION, pt. 1" and "LONG VERSION, pt.
2" to keep the message sizes from being too large.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to the 14 respondents below!  It's very
helpful.  As a result of your responses, it looks to me like our
library-educational technology center slide collection committee will
probably recommend that we integrate our slide catalog records into our
Innovative WebPAC, use the VRA core as metadata standard, map VRA core data
into MARC, and link a digital image of each slide using an 856 tag with the
image's URL.

Thanks again,
Michael Robertson, http://www.rit.edu/~marwml
Wallace Library, Rochester Institute of Technology, http://wally.rit.edu/

***********************************

14 Respondents:

1) Judy Winkler <[log in to unmask]>, Architecture Slide Library,
University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA

2) Paul Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>, Information Technology
Librarian Canterbury Public Library, Aotearoa, New Zealand

3) Suzanne Ogden-Roberts <[log in to unmask]>, New York State
College of Ceramics at Alfred University, Alfred, New York, USA

4) Timothy E. Thompson <[log in to unmask]>, Librarian, Syracuse University
Florence, Italy

5) Jacqueline Tygart <[log in to unmask]>, Art & Architecture Librarian,
Drury College, Springfield, Missouri, USA

6) Susi Ridenour, Staff Librarian, National Aquarium, Baltimore, MD, USA

7) Jeanette Hoskinson <[log in to unmask]>, Photo Archivist, NASA
Langley Research Center, USA

8) Ann MacCallum <[log in to unmask]>, Institute of the Arts Library,
The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia

9) Lynda S. White <[log in to unmask]>, Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library,
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA

10) Marti Pike <[log in to unmask]>, Head, Technical Services, Woodbury
University Library, Burbank, CA, USA

11) Cindy Turner, Architecture Slide Curator, Ball State University
Libraries, Muncie, Indiana, USA

12) Andrea Frank <[log in to unmask]>, Boston College, Boston,
Massachusetts, USA

13) Jane Leahy <[log in to unmask]>, University of Western Australia
Library, Perth

14) Janet Webb, Librarian, Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design,
Vancouver, BC, Canada

**********************

Questions:

1)  Are you cataloging/integrating your slide library into your general
library book catalog, or are you keeping a separate online catalog of your
slide library that is not integrated with your general library catalog?

  *ANSWERS:

  [Yes to]...cataloging/integrating slide catalog into general book catalog:

    * Architecture Slide Library, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA
    * National Aquarium, Baltimore, MD, USA [considering a single system]
    * NASA Langley Research Center, USA
    * Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, Indiana, USA
    * University of Western Australia Library, Perth
    * Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library, University of Virginia, USA [but
      would like to remove them to separate catalog]

  [Yes to]...separate online [slide] library catalog:

    * New York State College of Ceramics, Alfred University, Alfred, New
      York, USA
    * Syracuse University Florence, Italy
    * Drury College, Springfield, Missouri, USA
    * Institute of the Arts Library, The Australian National University,
      Canberra
    * Boston College, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
    * Woodbury University Library, Burbank, CA, USA [planning on
      downloading into Sirsi with menu choice of Library Catalog, Slide
      Catalog, etc.]
    * Canterbury Public Library, Aotearoa, New Zealand [but "...trying to
      move it out of Hypercard to DRA System"]

  [Separate card catalogue for slide collection]
    *  Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, Vancouver, BC, Canada

2)  If you do keep a separate online slide catalog, what database system
are you using?  EmbARK, Informix Illustra, Oracle MediaServer, Microsoft
Access, FileMaker Pro, OCLC SiteSearch/WebZ or another Z39.50 database
server, a locally-created system?

  *ANSWERS:

    * 4th Dimension (4D)
       * NYS College of Ceramics, Alfred University, Alfred, New York, USA
       * Institute of the Arts Library, The Australian National University
       * Boston College, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
    * CASPR LibraryWorks/LibraryNet/WebStar:
       * Syracuse University Florence, Italy
    * FileMaker Pro:
       * Drury College, Springfield, Missouri, USA
    * Sirsi (Z39.50?):
       * Woodbury University Library, Burbank, CA, USA
    * Hypercard:
       * Canterbury Public Library, Aotearoa, New Zealand

3)  If you've integrated it into your library's online catalog and/or
WebPAC, who is your vendor and are your users happy with the integration of
slides with traditional book material?

  *ANSWERS:

    * Innovative Interfaces;
        * "...our patrons love it...."
        - Architecture Slide Library, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA
        * [No user reaction noted]
        - University of Western Australia Library, Perth
    * Sirsi;
        * "...some patrons will not appreciate seeing 200 slide records
          come up when they search for a book.  It is wise to use...an
          exclusionary device.  Few people objected, but those few were very
          vocal....with [this] caveat, customers were very very very happy
          with the results."
        - NASA Langley Research Center, USA.
        * "Our students love it, but faculty and administration do not,
          which is why we're trying to remove the slide records.  ...We
          opted to create individual records for each slide rather than for
          each building.  When you have a hundred or more images of a single
          building it really clutters up the display screens."
        - Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library, University of Virginia, USA.
    * Notis;
        * "Our patrons are usually very happy with this system as it is
          accessible to them in all library workstations as well as through
          the web and modem access.  The only big complaint has been from
          the patrons looking only for books...they don't want to browse the
          long lists of slides that are often mixed in with the book titles.
          The solution...is...using a keyword search. ...you can search the
          title and then specify that you want to exclude slides."
        - Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, Indiana, USA

4)  Do you have a digitized image linked to each slide catalog record?

  *ANSWERS:

   Yes:
     * Architecture Slide Library, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA
     * Syracuse University Florence, Italy
     * NASA Langley Research Center, USA
     * Institute of the Arts Library, The Australian National University,

   Hope to in the Future:
     * Drury College, Springfield, Missouri, USA
     * National Aquarium, Baltimore, MD, USA
     * Woodbury University Library, Burbank, CA, USA
     * Boston College, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
     * University of Western Australia Library, Perth
     * NYS College of Ceramics, Alfred University, Alfred, New York, USA
       ["-this is possible in Shoebox however I am not satisfied with the
       software capabilities."]

   No:
     * Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library, University of Virginia, USA ["No.
       Because it's probably illegal and would take a lifetime to do.
       However, it's _possible_"]
     * Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, Indiana, USA ["No.  We are
       looking into the possibility of this in the future. Currently we
       (like many other people) struggle with copyright clearance problems.]

5)  Have you looked at using or are you using a Z39.50 compliant server for
your slide catalog?
    If yes, which one?

  *ANSWERS:

   Yes:
     * Sirsi:
       * Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library, University of Virginia, USA
       * Woodbury University Library, Burbank, CA, USA
   No:
     * NYS College of Ceramics, Alfred University, Alfred, New York, USA
     * Boston College, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

6)  What catalog (or metadata) fields have you used for your slide catalog
record?  In other words, are you using:
 a) the VRA core categories draft,
http://www.oberlin.edu/~art/vra/core.html?
 b) the CNI/OCLC Workshop on Metadata for Networked Images fields based on
the Dublin Core (http://www.oclc.org:5046/conferences/imagemeta/index.html)?
 c) the MESL Data Dictionary v.1.0, 2d draft
(http://www.gii.getty.edu/mesl/about/docs/datadict.html)?
 d) fields defined locally by you?
 e) fields mapped to the MARC record you adapted locally for slides?

  *ANSWERS:

 a) the VRA core categories draft,
http://www.oberlin.edu/~art/vra/core.html?
    * [Though no respondents selected this, see d) and e) below.  M.
      Robertson]

 b) the CNI/OCLC Workshop on Metadata for Networked Images fields based on
the Dublin Core (http://www.oclc.org:5046/conferences/imagemeta/index.html)?
    * [Not selected by any respondents.  M. Robertson]

 c) the MESL Data Dictionary v.1.0, 2d draft
(http://www.gii.getty.edu/mesl/about/docs/datadict.html)?
    * [Not selected by any respondents.  M. Robertson]

 d) fields defined locally by you?
    * "Custom made database"
      - NYS College of Ceramics, Alfred University New York
    * "Slide#, Artist, Title, Date, Location, City, Country, Provenance,
      Medium, Dimensions, Period, Notes, Instructor, Image (this is where
      the <A HREF="Image.jpg"> tag goes), Copyright Info."
      - Syracuse University Florence, Italy
    * "Fields defined locally back in 1989.  I'm looking at the VRA core to
      see what fields to add and what to subtract."
      - Drury College, Springfield, Missouri, USA
    * "I use locally created fields which predate both the VRA core
      categories and the CDWA, but I've mapped my fields to both."
      - Boston College, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

 e) fields mapped to the MARC record you adapted locally for slides?
    * "Our images are original photos rather than art/architecture slides,
      so we use MARC records with a combination of LC and a local thesaurus
      for subject cataloging."
      - NASA Langley Research Center, USA
    * "We use modified MARC records.  If we have to switch out of Sirsi we
       will probably use the VRA Core.... I don't think the Dublin Core is
       appropriate/enough to catalog images of art and architecture. And
       MESL is much too geared toward museum needs."
      - Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library, University of Virginia, USA
    * "We use fields mapped to the MARC record...adapted locally for
       slides.  We have several types of records that are used (when
       appropriate).... We have individual records for individual slides
       (...the method used prior to 1990 based on an antiquated tape load
       local...system).  We also catalog slides using a collection level
       record that uses one title field for a variety of slides from
       different vendors.  This type of...record allows us to
       continually add new slides (of a specific place, although a variety
       of views) without adding completely new cataloging records."
      - Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, Indiana, USA

7)  May we look at your site on the Internet?

  *ANSWERS:

   Yes:
     * Architecture Slide Library, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA,
       http://iris.unl.edu/ <title search> "Carnegie libraries in Nebraska"
       and "Carnegie libraries in Iowa"
     * Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library, University of Virginia, USA,
       http://www.lib.virginia.edu/
     * Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, Indiana, USA,
       http://www.library.bsu.edu/catalogs/access.html <keyword search
       qualified by slide> "k=empire state building and slide"

   No:
     * Syracuse University Florence, Italy ["...on a protected Intranet"]
     * NASA Langley Research Center, USA ["Not available"]

   Slide collection not on the Internet:
     * NYS College of Ceramics, Alfred University, Alfred, New York, USA
     * Drury College, Springfield, Missouri, USA ["...hope to make

       accessible through library Web page....probably not anytime too
       soon."]
     * Boston College, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
     * Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, Vancouver, BC, Canada

##END