We have a growing collection of items on CD-ROM.  Our bibliographic
databases are locked into a cartridge that remains in a disk player and
they are accessible at one work station.

Individual titles such as Italienische Zeichnungen 14. bis 18. Jahrhundert
are in jewel boxes and housed at the reserves desk.  Students must leave
their ID cards when they take them to a computer in the library.  The ID
card is returned when the student returns the disk.

Some books and exhibition catalogs are arriving with CD-ROMS in the book
(i.e. Andy Warhol Museum (1994) with CD placed on the cover, et. al.).  We
are concerned about theft of CDs that are inside or on books.

We would like to simplify things for the user.  Rather than having some
CDs inside books and others at the reserve desk, we would like to have all
CDs in one place.

How has YOUR library handled storage of CDs?  How have you addressed theft
issues?

Thanks, as always, for the help of my ARLIS colleagues!

                                Ray Anne Lockard
                         Head, Frick Fine Arts Library
                           University Library System
                            University of Pittsburgh