Forwarded from the NINCH list.

Judy

From:   INTERNET:[log in to unmask], INTERNET:[log in to unmask]
To:     Multiple recipients of list, INTERNET:[log in to unmask]

Date:   8/6/97  6:31 PM

RE:     "Information Technology in Humanities Scholarship" Online

            Information Technology in Humanities Scholarship:
                Achievements, Prospects, and Challenges--
                         The United States Focus
           by Pamela Pavliscak, Seamus Ross, and Charles Henry
                     (ACLS Occasional Paper No. 37)
                          NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE

The American Council on Learned Societies has just announced that its
recently published Occasional Paper No. 37, "Information Technology in
Humanities Scholarship: Achievements, Prospects, and Challenges--The United
States Focus," is now available on-line in a hypertext version at
<http://www.acls.org/op37.htm>.

To introduce this report I can do no better than to quote its Preface:

"This report surveys the various applications of information technology to
research in the humanities. In the course of our investigations we came
across a variety of innovative research that could have a profound impact
on the humanities. However, the incidence of such work is uneven, and the
widespread adoption of information technology in the humanities is being
hindered by a number of significant obstacles. We also examine the
challenges that must be overcome if such applications are to become the
norm among scholars.

"We present only a selective view of current activities, focusing primarily
on work by American scholars, with some references to international
projects of relevance to the humanities, since computer technology now
makes scholarship a genuinely global enterprise. This overview is intended
for scholars in the humanities who are not yet aware of what has been
accomplished, as well as for those who direct and fund research and higher
education. Their cooperation and understanding are needed for these
obstacles to be overcome and for the potential of information technology in
humanities scholarship to be realized.

The report comprises five sections

  I: A Background essay

 II: Information Technology and Scholarship--a survey of work and
achievements in a variety of media (text, data, images, multimedia), an
examination of retroconversion projects and of the creation of original
works, electronic publication and a look at available tools for scholars.

III: New Developments and Change

 IV: To Challenge and Invigorate Future Scholarship--a look at what is
needed to fully prepare faculty, researchers and institutions to take full
advantage of the electronic medium

  V: Principal Recommendations and Follow-up Activities

The report concludes with a useful list of links to exemplary projects and
services <http://www.acls.org/op37-app.htm>.

An expanded version of this report will be available later this year on the
American Arts & Letters Network <http://www.rice.edu/aaln/>

David L. Green
Executive Director
NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
www-ninch.cni.org
202/296-5346                                  202/872-0886 fax

See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.