Doralynn Pines wrote:

> I, too, remembering seeing this image as a painting, not a sculpture.  I've
> looked through a few books in my home library, but couldn't find it.  I sugges
> you look at H.W. Janson's APES AND APE LORE IN THE MIDDLE AGES AND THE
> RENAISSANCE, London, 1952.  It should be there.
>
> Doralynn Pines
> The Metropolitan Museum of Art
> New York, NY 10028

There is a sculpture -- a bit of kitsch that goes back to the mid 60's
at least.  The monkey, holding a human skull, is sitting on a stack of
books
 that includes Darwin.  I don't have any idea who the sculptor was, but
I'd look in books on kitsch rather than Medieval art.  It may have been
a take-off on something earlier, however.

Marjorie Chenoweth
Library Director
Maryland Institute, College of Art