----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Hello, ARLIS-L. I'm cross-posting to VRA-L too; so hope you'll forgive if you've seen this message. If you have or know about slide library catalogs, we need your help. We in RIT's Wallace Library (http://wally.rit.edu/) have about 60,000 primarily art slides we want to catalog, digitally scan, and make available over the Internet to our users (within appropriate copyright restrictions, of course). We currently have multimedia items like videocassettes cataloged in our general Innovative Interfaces Public Access Catalog including our WebPAC (http://albert.rit.edu/). Our Innovative WebPAC also has the ability to display images, one-at-a-time, by clicking on the url listed in a MARC 856 tag (for example http://albert.rit.edu/search/d+posters+polish/1,4,10/item&d+posters+polish&2 ,,3 or do a subject search on "Posters Polish" and select the 1st entry). We'd like to learn from you what online catalog system, available over the Internet, we should use for our slide collection by asking a few questions. The first question is the most important one since we trying to decide whether to integrate our slide records in our traditional library catalog or whether to create a separate slide/image catalog; so if that's all you have time to answer, we'd appreciate it. 1) Are you cataloging/integrating your slide library into your general library book catalog, or are you keeping a separate online catalog of your slide library that is not integrated with your general library catalog? 2) If you do keep a separate online slide catalog, what database system are you using? EmbARK, Informix Illustra, Oracle MediaServer, Microsoft Access, FileMaker Pro, OCLC SiteSearch/WebZ or another Z39.50 database server, a locally-created system? 3) If you've integrated it into your library's online catalog and/or WebPAC, who is your vendor and are your users happy with the integration of slides with traditional book material? 4) Do you have a digitized image linked to each slide catalog record? 5) Have you looked at using or are you using a Z39.50 compliant server for your slide catalog? If yes, which one? 6) What catalog (or metadata) fields have you used for your slide catalog record? In other words, are you using: a) the VRA core categories draft, http://www.oberlin.edu/~art/vra/core.html? b) the CNI/OCLC Workshop on Metadata for Networked Images fields based on the Dublin Core (http://www.oclc.org:5046/conferences/imagemeta/index.html)? c) the MESL Data Dictionary v.1.0, 2d draft (http://www.gii.getty.edu/mesl/about/docs/datadict.html)? d) fields defined locally by you? e) fields mapped to the MARC record you adapted locally for slides? 7) May we look at your site on the Internet? Any and all responses to the above questions and other comments beyond these are very much appreciated! I'll be glad to collate the results and post them to the list if anyone's interested. Thank you, Michael Robertson, Wallace Library, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, New York, USA http://www.rit.edu/~marwml