Dear Colleagues,
 A sub-committee of the Collection Development Committee is looking into
the revision of the Collection Development Standards for Art Libraries
("Standards for Art Libraries and Fine Arts Slide Collections", ARLIS/NA
Occasional Papers No. 2, 1983).
 To clarify the structure and content of the current standards, they are
part of a document on staffing standards for art libraries.  The
collection development standards themselves are divided into several
parts: an overview with some basic procedures to follow in collection
development; an overview of collection levels that correspond to the
"RLG Collection Development Manual", 2nd ed.; basic art bibliographies;
a listing of the types of materials collected by art libraries; a
listing of the various types of art libraries (academic, museum, art
departments in public libraries) with figures on the numbers of volumes
a library should hold according to size of the library's clientele.
 We are seeking input from ARLIS members and would like you to respond
to the few questions below by August 15th, 1997.
 Please send your responses to Ann Whiteside at

1. Have you used the collection development standards document?
Yes, a long time ago but not recently..
2. Have you found the standards helpful?
Frankly, no.
3. What areas of the standards are not helpful?
They don't seem to apply to my institutional situation,
though I must confess I need to look at them again to provide a
reasoned answer to you query.
4. What issues would you like to see addressed in a revised document?
I'm not really sure that you can address problematic issues in a
docuemnt such as this. Qualitative standards are easier to apply then
quantitative.
5. Are there other comments that you would like to give us?
There are abstract standards and then there are the realities of an
institution; rarely are they in synch.  The only standard that my
institution seems to care about is accreditation----if the standards
for Art collections were a part of a reaccreditation standard then
they would be used and paid attention otherwise they are useless except
as art librarians talk amongst themselves.

Thank you very much.
Melissa Becher
Paul Glassman
Ursula Kolmstetter