----------------------------Original message---------------------------- To Whom It May Concern: I am working as a research assistant to Professor Marcia Bates, UCLA, on a project for the Getty Information Institute. This letter is to brief you = =3D on the project for which we currently seek volunteers. It is a research =3D project designed to study the effectiveness of a group of searchable databases, along with a vocabulary-enhancement tool, a.k.a. Since its beginnings in 1983, the Getty Information Institute has worked to make cultural heritage information more accessible by means of computer technology. The current project will explore aspects of user interaction. Its purpose is to gain an understanding as to how evaluation methodologies can aid in finding ways to increase access and ease of use with regard to the information resources of the J. Paul Getty Trust. The evaluation studies themselves will attempt to address methodologies for optimizing information retrieval across the J. Paul Getty Trust=3D92s = data resources and to improve the ecology of the interface environment. The Current Study We are looking for volunteers for sessions of approximately 1-1/2 to 2 hours in length, to try out this group of searchable databases which the Getty Information Institute has made available on the World Wide Web. As stated earlier, the system includes four art and architecture-related databases, which you may or may not be familiar with, and a vocabulary- enhancement tool. The sessions can take one of two forms, depending on your preference and computer / modem / dedicated line access. The first method requires that you come to the Getty Information Institute, in Santa Monica, for an in- person interview. The second is conducted remotely, and requires that you have access to the World Wide Web and a separate telephone line so that you can speak on the telephone while accessing the Web. (It is much easier with a speaker phone). Payment for participation You will receive a check for =3D2440.00 which will be mailed to you approximately two weeks following your evaluation session. We are looking for volunteers for this coming Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (June 3rd, 4th =3D26 5th) as well as for the = following week (June 9th - 13th), either at approximately 10:30 a.m. or approximately 1:30 p.m. If weekdays are impossible, Saturday sessions may be arranged. If you are willing to volunteer, please either e-mail or call me (numbers given below). At that point, I will provide complete directions to the =3D Getty Information Institute, parking instructions, etc. As we are quite limited = =3D in terms of time, I=3D92d very much appreciate your response as soon as = possible. Feel free to telephone me on weekends, early mornings, or evenings. Sincerely, Genie Guerard Department of Library =3D26 Information Science, UCLA Telephone: (310) 390-0298 e-mail: gguerard=3D40ucla.edu