I use an auto-cad program for the Macintosh, which I believe is also
available for the IBM.  Auto-cad is a mini-cad program which is not as
complex as the full-version of cad, but still lets you work in multiple
planes and render objects 3-D.  It allows the insertion of graphics as well.
 It is called TurboCad and is V.3.  I am a student at the University of Texas
at Austin and used the program specifically to design a library.  It worked
great.  It has amazing flexibility and comes with hundreds of objects to
insert so that you don't have to draw things like bookcases or discharge
terminals by hand.  Hope it helps.