We insured our collections in 1989 following these guidelines:

Rare Books: each title individually appraised

Other Collections: estimate of "shelf replacement value" based on average
costs for material types
ie.
Books (bound volumes) - $60 per volume
Micromaterials (fiche/film) - $15 per volume equivalent
Slides - $5 per slide
Pictures - 25 cents per picture
Vertical File Materials - $5 per file
Films/Videos - $200 per title
Audiotapes - $10 per tape
Current periodicals (unbound) - $60 per subscription

The shelf replacement value was to include all costs of requisitioning and
ordering, invoice value, transportation costs, cataloging and indexing
costs, cost of placing on the shelf and any other associated costs.

In retrospect, I think some of the above averages are low (slides for
instance) and, in reality, many of our collections cannot be replaced no
matter what cost is attached to them.

Jill Patrick, Ontario College of Art & Design
Toronto, Canada

or