Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- On Wed, 28 May 1997, Hanson Library - Birmingham Museum of Art wrote: > We are changing photocopiers. The copier to be replaced has a "book edge", > which I have more often heard called a "booksaver". This feature is not > offered on the new model we are eligible for under our city lease plan. > Does anyone know of any solution? How important do you consider having a > book edge or booksaver on your photocopiers? Thank you very much! > Hi, Copiers designed to reduce damage to bound volumes are more important when self-service copying is allowed, and/or when the collection contains many tightly bound volumes (such as periodicals or other volumes rebound by commercial library binders by oversewing). Unenlightened or less caring users will mash volumes down on the copier to try to get a good reproduction of text that is in the gutter area of the book. One thing to be aware of is that with "book friendly" copiers, copying is meant to be done one page at a time, rather than an entire opening (2 pgs.). When there is a per page charge, thrifty users tend to defeat the purpose of the copier and get two book pages on a single copy anyway. I think you can prevent/reduce damage to library materials better with some monitoring, communication of the value of the library's collection to your users, and by not using oversewing as a binding/rebinding method. Elise Thall Calvi Head Librarian The Walters Art Gallery 600 N. Charles St. Baltimore, MD 21201 [log in to unmask] (410) 547-9000 x274 (410) 752-4797 fax