May 6, 1997

Members of the Ohio Valley Chapter, please review the following
business agenda and travel awards draft in preparation for the
Spring 1997 Chapter Meeting in Cincinnati.  Send comments or
suggestions to:

Kay Downey, Chair, ARLIS Ohio Valley Chapter
Cleveland Museum of Art
11150 East Blvd.
Cleveland Ohio 44106
FAX 216 421 0921

Spring 1997 Business Meeting Agenda ARLIS/Ohio Valley Chapter

1. Nominating Committee

2. Budget Report

3. Report of the Travel Award Committee

4. Chapter Communications/Promotion

4. 1997 Fall Meeting

Travel Awards Draft Proposal

At the Fall 1997 Chapter Meeting in Akron, Ohio, a committee of
Kay Downey, Astrid Otey and Betsy Lantz,  was formed to draft
a proposal for the institution of a Chapter Travel Award.  The
following is a list of recommendations submitted by the
committee to the members for discussion at the Spring 1997
meeting.  The committee would like to present a final draft to
the ARLIS/NA Board and then to the members for a vote at the
Fall 1997 meeting.

1. The Travel Awards Committee recommends that the ARLIS/Ohio
Valley Chapter institute a Travel Award to be made available to
Chapter members in order to assist with the expense of
attending Chapter meetings.   It is our intent that we offer one
award for each meeting during the year, one for the Spring
meeting and one for the Fall meeting.  The amount of the award is
yet to be determined (between $100.00 and $200.00).

2. The Committee recommends that the Travel Award be granted based
on the following considerations: financial need, level of Chapter
participation, ARLIS/NA affiliation, first time attendee,
contribution to the meeting.

3. We recommend that the Travel Award application include a resume
and a letter stating how the applicant expects to benefit from
attending the meeting, as well as a statement indicating what
institutional support is available to them.  We would stipulate
that the number of times an individual may be granted the award be

limited to once in a given amount of time (possible three to
five years).

4. The Committee recommends that Awards be presented at the meeting
and that the recipient submit a short bio and institutional
profile for subsequent Collage publication.

5. We recommend that an ongoing travel awards committee be put in
place with  committee members  rotating on a regular basis.  The
existing travel awards committee has offered to  continue
through 1998.

6. The Committee would like to offer the first travel award for the
Spring 1998 meeting.  Initially, we recommend that the first award
be funded by means of a temporary increase of member dues, with
subsequent awards to be funded by donors.

Submitted by the Travel Awards Committee: Astrid Otey , Slide
Curator, Miami University; Betsy Lantz , Assistant Librarian for
Technical Services, Cleveland Museum of Art; Kay Downey, Serials
Librarian, Cleveland Museum of Art
.

--
Kay Downey