Here's a summary of the responses I've received regarding Robert Hughes'
Video series. I would like to thank everyone for their input and suggesitons.

Published Reviews:
*
Modern Painters (probably winter or fall 1996 issue)
this had a discussion and interview with Hughes prior to showing of it on
british TV. Hughes was on the cover of the issue!!
*
Also, I think Art Newspaper had a write up. Not sure which issue though.
I can let you know if you need to?
"American Visions" by Robert Hughes (the book), not the vide was reviewed in
last Sunday's Los Angeles Times Book Review section.  Not a very good one
either.

Personal Reviews:
**
Olga, I've seen the series myself, and found it rivetting... with Robert
Hughes usual flair. From my hazy memory....He does have a bias,
.......hates Jeff Koons ( don't like him too greatly myself, so no loss to
me, but I could see the post-modernists fuming!), but still manages to
interview incisively . It is a strong overview of American culture from its
inception.. Amish quilts, pilgrim churches and aesetic lifestyle, sweeping
historic landscapes, Indian culture, architecture, the advent of mass
production, the thirties, the fifties and art deco, the swinging sixties
with Warhol and the Factory, Lichtenstein, Rauschenburg, Oldenburg, De
Koooning, Pollock, then on to minimalism, Judd...right up to the present
day,and  post modernism. He visits artists in their studios, which is
fascinating.  He incorporates design and manufacturing ( cars,etc. ) easily
into the analysis.
It inspired me to visit America, whereas previously I wanted to go to
Europe. A very beautiful and stylish production done with the BBC.
----
Jennifer Brasher            `` `  ` `   EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
Art Librarian                  ``  `  ` VOICE: +61 (07) 3875 3132
Image Manager                     `  ` `FAX: +61 (07) 3875 3133
Queensland College of Art Library       ` ` ` `  *
Griffith University                        ```````  *

**
This series was broadcast in the UK, and received generally good reviews.
My dear friend Anne Peters, who hails from your side of the Atlantic
and is Librarian at the Institute of Education in London, was I
recall very impressed by the series.
John McKay

Availability:
***
After asking you about its availability on video I got my PBS video
catalog and there it was. Not actually that expensive either. I think
about $150.00?
---
Christopher J. Quinn
Assistant Architecture and Art Librarian
Ricker Library of Archite

        -O.
"The lights in the city...looks so good
        almost like somebody...
                thought they would...."         Victoria Williams, 1987.