Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Clare Hills-Nova and I have been developing a proposal, tentatively entitled "Diamonds or Dinosaurs: Landmark Libraries and Technology," to explore the often stressful intersection of new electronic devices as well as of environmental controls in architecturally significant buildings. The goal is to pose a set of questions--and perhaps even answers based on successful adaptations--related to the often problematic confluence of historic preservation practices with principles of collections management and conservation. A preliminary proposal was presented to both the Space Planners Round Table and the Architecture Section, where I believe William Lang was in attendance and made the reassuring comment that he felt personally that a focussed topic worked better than a broad, overly inclusive one. Both the Round Table and the Section recommended submitting the proposal. I believe that both are willing to sponsor it. Is that correct? (Amy Gale and Ann Lally: Is that correct?) The following individuals have already agreed to participate, if the session is approved: William Lull of Garrison Lull, environmental consultant; Richard Tyler, Director of the Philadelphia Historical Commission; Roger Moss, Executive Director of the Philadelphia Athenaeum. I am waiting to hear from the Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia and from the Conservation Center for Art & Historic Artifacts. We are also considering calling someone from the Bucks County Historical Society, which evidently has completed a significant library addition; a mechanical engineer from the firm of Henry & Watson; and David Marohn from the firm of Venturi, Scott Brown and Associates, who were the architectural consultants for the Fisher Fine Arts Library at the University of Pennsylvania. Both the Round Table and the Section strongly advised trying to coordinate a tour of the Fisher library with the session. I spoke with Alan E. Morrison at the library, and he said that such a tour was under development by the local arrangements committee, so I am not sure how to suggest coordination of the idea. We would greatly appreciate recommendations of librarians who have experience with this topic. We realize that there are far too many names mentioned above for one session but wanted to begin developing a list of individuals who could at least serve as information resources to us. We would be most grateful to hear anyone who has comments or suggestions. Thanks. --Paul Glassman Art & Architecture Librarian Pratt Institute 200 Willoughby Avenue Brooklyn, New York 11205 Telephone (718) 636-3714 FAX (718) 399-4401 P. S. I would be very interested in a session on strategic planning. On Thu, 15 May 1997, William Lang wrote: > ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- > Iris Snyder and I have had two program ideas for the 1998 conference floating > around, and we're hoping to interest some ARLIS members in doing sessions base > on them. If someone already is working along these lines, please let us know. > > A number of people in San Antonio asked for more management sessions, > specifically on planning and construction of new buildings, or management of a > major renovation. Several of our local people have had experience of this > sort, and I'm sure conference atteendees from other areas could contribute; > I've just heard from someone at the Morgan who expressed willingness to find a > speaker who participated in planning for their almost-complete renovation. > There seem to be a lot of possibilities here. Would anyone like to take this > on? > > The region around Philadelphia has many extraordinarily well-documented > historic gardens, and we think their histories and archives could form the > basis for a rich program. We have at least one highly qualified participant > who's called us, and more could readily be found. If you are working on > anything like this, or would like to, please let us know. > > The program proposal deadline is May 31. > > Bill Lang > Rare Book Department > The Free Library of Philadelphia > 215 686-5416 > [log in to unmask] >