Darin Marshall:  I'm not sure I understand completely your trouble with
securing a book for exhibition.

Is the public allowed to *touch* the volume? In that case, I would not put
out anything valuable, and/or use a facsimile.  Chaining would then be an
acceptable option.

Is the book out of reach? You could insert a tattle strip in the volume for
use with a security system in the building, and/or a motion detector or
other alarm device to alert you if someone is interested in "borrowing" or
touching the exhibit.

Good luck.  I hope this provides you with some assistance.  Karen

Karen E.K. Brown
Field Service Representative
Northeast Document Conservation Center
100 Brickstone Square