ARLIS/NA CREATES VISUAL RESOURCES ADVISORY COMMITTEE,
PLANS FOR JOINT 1998 CONFERENCE WITH VISUAL RESOURCES
ASSOCIATION IN PHILADELPHIA

The Art Libraries Society of North America held its 25th annual
conference in San Antonio early last month.  Among actions taken by the
Executive Board was the creation of a Visual Resources Advisory
Committee (VRAC), whose charge is "to integrate visual resources
professional practices and concerns into ARLIS/NA's planning agenda
and management structure."  The affinities existing between our
organizations have long been known, but until now, there has been no
official forum for issues of common interest to be addressed and
exchanged.  We (and I know I speak for the Society membership) are
very pleased that such a body now exists to "represent visual resources
interests to the Executive Board of ARLIS/NA, formulate positions on
specific visual resources issues, and serve as liaison to external
organizations."

The members of this committee are ARLIS/NA members who are also
members of the Visual Resources Association and have been very active
in both organizations.   Trudy Jacoby (Trinity College), who as chair will
serve as chief contact between the VRA and the advisory committee, is
joined by committee members Martha Mahard (Harvard University, chair of
the ARLIS/NA Visual Resources Division); Leigh Gates (Art Insitute of
Chicago, vice-chair of the VRD); Eileen Fry (Indiana University, liaison to
the ARLIS/NA Standards and Technology Relations Committees); Elisa
Lanzi (Getty Information Institute, liaison with external organizations,
Getty, Museum Computer Network, VRA Data Standards Committee, CIMI,
and the like); Linda McRae (University of South Florida, liaison ARLIS/NA
Cataloging Advisory and Data Standards Committees); Maryly Snow
(University of California, Berkeley, liaison to ARLIS/NA Public Policy
Committee); and Lynda White (University of Virginia, liaison to ARLIS/NA
Professional Development Committee).  Margaret Webster (Cornell
University) who served very ably as chair of a Visual Resources Issues
Task Force which recommended the formation of the VRAC will serve as
the ARLIS/NA Executive Board liaison to the VRAC.  The liaison roles
assigned to the committee members indicate the Society's desire to
facilitate integration of visual resources concerns and viewpoints across
the broad spectrum of ARLIS/NA activities.  We also hope that the
committee will bring ARLIS/NA concerns and viewpoints to their
counterparts in the visual resources community generally, and in the VRA
particularly.

It is highly appropriate that the VRAC comes to life as we begin to make
plans for our organizations to meet together in Philadelphia next year.
Margaret Webster as ARLIS/NA's Northeastern Regional Representative
also serves on our 1998 Conference Planning Advisory Committee.  I am
therefore designating her as the primary ARLIS/NA contact for all matters
concerning joint conference planning.  She will be working with Jeannette
Mills and Micheline Nilsen to assure that our efforts are coordinated to the
fullest extent.  Jeannette and Micheline will have access to the ARLIS/NA
conference planning listserv so that they can be informed of our
deliberations, contribute ideas, and report VRA conference plans as
appropriate.  We hope that these initiatives will provide a functional basis
for long-range planning for future joint conferences and other projects.

Please note that deadlines for submission of program proposals to both
organizations are fast approaching -- May 23 for VRA, May 31 for
ARLIS/NA. Proposals for joint sessions are welcome, and they may be
submitted to either organization's program chairs as deemed appropriate
(for ARLIS/NA, Iris Snyder or Bill Lang; for VRA, Jeannette Mills).  Be sure
to send a copy of any joint proposals to Margaret Webster as well.

Roger Lawson
President
ARLIS/NA