Dear ARLIS/NA Colleagues,
In partial fulfillment of the Strategic Plan's Action Item no. 4
(Create communications channels for members to submit
suggestions, problems, unmet needs, etc. to Executive Board and
management staff.) at its recent pre-conference meeting in San
Antonio the Executive Board authorized that, on a one year trial
basis, the Past President would serve as ombudsman.  I am,
therefore, pleased to announce that I will be serving this role,
beginning now and ending at the Philadelphia Conference.

The ombudsman charge is:

To solicit comments, questions, requests, complaints from all
ARLIS/NA members, for answer or referral.  Invitation of
participation by members will be through arlis-l, UPDATE, the
ARLIS/NA Web Site, administrative lists, and direct invitation.

The purposes/activities of the ombudsman are, within the
framework of the Society's Bylaws, Policy Manual, and Strategic
Plan:
1. to link individuals' need to know with best source(s);
2. to respond to and investigate bases of complaints, with
notification to appropriate members in leadership roles and/or
Headquarters staff;
3. to refer ideas and suggestions to appropriate individuals
and/or working groups.

Unless circumstances do not permit, all submissions from
members will be acknowledged within 48 hours; response will
include answers, forward-to points, and/or indication of
follow-up action(s).

The ombudsman role for Past-President may be continued in
subsequent years upon review of a report, summarizing this
year's activities,  prepared by the Past-President and submitted
for decision by the Executive Board at the Philadelphia
Conference Board meeting.

The role of ombudsman is NOT intended to supersede or
circumvent the formal ties between Executive Board members -
- appointed with duties as LIAISON to all working groups within
the Society.

So, .... please let me know what you think!

Jack Robertson
ARLIS/NA Past-President
Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library
University of Virginia